19 August 2006

Welcome to Biology 2006 : - )
This posting is just a start. This site is an experiment for me. It will allow me to see if there is any benefit to a Bio-Blog in my classroom. All of my present or ex students are welcome to post their thoughts. Parents, other teachers and administrators are also welcome to join in !
I plan to make the "monitoring" and commentating on this site an option for a group of my Honors Biology students as the required long term project. It could also be an extra credit assignment for anyone in my Regents Living Environment class.

Guidelines for postings are forthcoming.
I look forward to a great year !
Remember.... Biology is Life !
H Johnson
Comments:
<< Home
this is a test to see if i can leave a comment using only my name and class period... that will be your first assignment.
AHHHHH MR JOHNSONN oh my gosh i miss you and bio soo much its not even funny i "strongly dislike" chem i want to go back to the lab tables and playing wiht all of ur orange themed toys awww i miss it have a great weekend ill visit you some time next week. Shauna
Yo0o0o WhAts GoOd mR.JohNsOn!!!!
mY opIniOn about that aRticAL is ThaT its Dumb. Its bAsiCly shOppin 4 a BabY. i dOnt beliEve In iT. For heAlTh rEasoNs i can kind Of unDersTand It but i WoulD neVer Do it.
~ACE
mY opIniOn about that aRticAL is ThaT its Dumb. Its bAsiCly shOppin 4 a BabY. i dOnt beliEve In iT. For heAlTh rEasoNs i can kind Of unDersTand It but i WoulD neVer Do it.
~ACE
Captian Sarah Cutthroat
Period 3 =]
I believe this technology is good and bad in different ways. This somewhat touchy subject has both pros and cons all depending on how you look at it. As you said in class, Mr. Johnson, There is the bar and people are usualy found in the middle, not radical on either side but these are my opinions.
Good: I believe this is a great advancement in technology because being able to screen embyros for such genetic defects such as cancer of the ear, or something crazy. This way your child or children won't die of the black death, or cancer of the ear when they are 4 years old. Being able to choose your childs gender could or could not be a pro to this. Somepeople like suprise and some don't it seems. If you want a baby girl, then there you go. Embyro testing for teh yes!
Bad: I don't think that this is a good advancement in health because with healthy people everywhere, the population would break out.. I don't think it's human hunting season either so we would over populate like deer and might die out because our surplus of food went down the drain. Again, changing fate isn't really in my ballpark, and I wouldn't want a childs fate in my own hands, but that's just me...
Period 3 =]
I believe this technology is good and bad in different ways. This somewhat touchy subject has both pros and cons all depending on how you look at it. As you said in class, Mr. Johnson, There is the bar and people are usualy found in the middle, not radical on either side but these are my opinions.
Good: I believe this is a great advancement in technology because being able to screen embyros for such genetic defects such as cancer of the ear, or something crazy. This way your child or children won't die of the black death, or cancer of the ear when they are 4 years old. Being able to choose your childs gender could or could not be a pro to this. Somepeople like suprise and some don't it seems. If you want a baby girl, then there you go. Embyro testing for teh yes!
Bad: I don't think that this is a good advancement in health because with healthy people everywhere, the population would break out.. I don't think it's human hunting season either so we would over populate like deer and might die out because our surplus of food went down the drain. Again, changing fate isn't really in my ballpark, and I wouldn't want a childs fate in my own hands, but that's just me...
Amanda Moody
Period 3
I have a mixed opinion on the article. There are certain things that I agree with 100%, and others that I am totally against.
Some reasons that I disagree with it are that in a sense, it's like you're choosing your child. You're picking it's characteristics, and who knows..soon it could lead to picking likes and dislikes and other things like that. Another reason is that people would probably take advantage of it, and make it so that their kid would be perfect. By having everyone making "perfect children", everyone would be the same and it would be crazy.
Some reasons I agree with it are that it could possibly eliminate all disease in the world. I mean, think about it..if everyone had their children this way, and scientists and doctors were able to get rid of all diseases and malfunctions that could cause a child to be handicapped, then there would be no one with all of these diseases that kill so many people annually. Another reason is that it could help families that have a bad medical history to improve the future generations of their family tree.
For the most part, my opinion is still split..it is an advancement in health and science, but it is hard to tell whether it is an improvement in having a child because there are so many risks some people probably wouldn't be willing to take.
Period 3
I have a mixed opinion on the article. There are certain things that I agree with 100%, and others that I am totally against.
Some reasons that I disagree with it are that in a sense, it's like you're choosing your child. You're picking it's characteristics, and who knows..soon it could lead to picking likes and dislikes and other things like that. Another reason is that people would probably take advantage of it, and make it so that their kid would be perfect. By having everyone making "perfect children", everyone would be the same and it would be crazy.
Some reasons I agree with it are that it could possibly eliminate all disease in the world. I mean, think about it..if everyone had their children this way, and scientists and doctors were able to get rid of all diseases and malfunctions that could cause a child to be handicapped, then there would be no one with all of these diseases that kill so many people annually. Another reason is that it could help families that have a bad medical history to improve the future generations of their family tree.
For the most part, my opinion is still split..it is an advancement in health and science, but it is hard to tell whether it is an improvement in having a child because there are so many risks some people probably wouldn't be willing to take.
My opinion really hasn't changed much since last week, except I am starting to feel more moderaely towards the whole selection based on diseases. I see how it can really help, but I still don't feel strongly about it, and I think that there are only a few rare cases where it might be okay. I think a disease like AIDS is an example of something where embryo selection might be all right. AIDS is the most deadly of all diseases and petty much ruins people lives. It causes so many complicatiions, and I think it would be great to save your kid all the pain that 'you' went through. In general, I still think that it is wrong.
I agree with Sarah except i don't think it is morally right to decide the babies gender because it is saying that one gender is better then the other one. If population grows too much, then most people would become poorer because there would be less jobs to go around. Just thinking that so many people don't have jobs now means more people= less jobs.
My opinion is that all this is ,is trying to make a perfect person this could mess some things up there might be more boys than girls. I think even if we stopped some diseases others would arise that cold be worse. this might clear up some problems but i think new ones would come around
Post a Comment
<< Home
