13 May 2007

 
WEEK TWO PERIOD THREE
Comments:
first one yea! =]

No, I would not like to live in GATTACA.I wouldn't like to live in GATTACA because I wouldn't be accepted if I had an abnormality in my DNA. It wouldn't be fair because you could be the smartest person in the world and have the cure for cancer but the had a 90% chance of dieing at 40 of some kind of heart diease you wouldn't be able to get the job. Two positives about living in GATTACA are (1) you can figure out what are some health issues with you just by checking a strand of DNA. (2) You can prevent any kind of mental of physical disease your child might have in their life time. Two negatives about living in GATTACA are (1) Anyone could check your DNA with any kind of anything from you (hari, skin cell, or tissue =/). (2) You can be discriminated against just because you might have a little abnormailty in your DNA! << not cool =]
 
Whoa, I'm second! :o

I chose discrimination due to gentype in the workplace. I think that it's just wrong and there is no reason for it. Everyone should be given a chance too strive for the best of the best if they are willing to put forth the effort requested.

I chose this site. It tells how genetic testing may very well increase in society and what that could cause.

I absolutely believe that we will be living in GATTACA in the near future. It is scary to think about, but it will be unstoppable with the way science is moving along now.
 
Personally, I really would not like to live in GATTACA. The society is based on perfection. How is it even possible for a person to be discriminated against because of their DNA? Thats ridiculous. They had no control over this, so why is society punishing them? There are some positives in living in this alternate world, (1)from the day you are born you are aware of any health risks that you will have to deal with later in life and (2)you will know exactly how long you will live and how you will die. To some these are advantages, to me I think that it makes life seem pointless. Why would you want to live if everything was figured out for you already? What's the purpose? Negatives to living in GATTACA would be (1)the polocies of discrimination towards one's DNA and (2)the element of surprise is taken out of life, everything is figured out already because your DNA can tell more than just who you are. Also DNA is simple to trace, even from the smallest pieces of evidence, such as an eyelash. Whatever the case may be, I would be deadset against ever living in a place like GATTACA no matter how many positives are expressed. For me, the negatives are just overwhelming.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Personally, I WOULD NOT like to live in Gattaca. They all like perfection and I'm not anywhere near perfect. Gattaca seems like a cold place where flaws could prevent you from getting your dream job. Its bad enough that we discriminate against different races and minorities, but to discriminate against certain genotypes THATS HORRIBLE!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A positive aspect would have to be that "natural born" children do not have to worry about crippling conditions or disorders that could prevent them from living their lives. Another would be that you have a strong feeling of security because the people running space missions or other things that you depend on are perfect for that field.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A negative aspect would be that "love children" are discriminated against because they aren't perfect, so they can't get what they want out of life. Another negative aspect is that all this checking of your DNA (i.e. blood, hair. etc.) crosses the line and is REALLY invasive on your privacy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
I would probably not like to live in Gattaca. Everything depends on what condition your genes are in. If it was possible for you to get a disease, you wouldn't be able to get a job or do anything except be an outcast. You would be discriminated against for being an Invalid.

A positive aspect of living in Gattaca is that problems can be solved easily using their technology. Another positive aspect would be that you can get rid of any possible disease earlier than we could in the present. A negative aspect would be finding out exactly how and when you die, because no one wants to know if it's going to be real soon or anything like that. Another negative aspect is that if you had a chance of getting a genetic disease, you wouldn't be allowed to get a job.
 
cashew

no, i would not likt to live in GATTACA.

i'll finish this later
 
Alternative Choice Assignment:

No, I would not like to live in GATTACA. I wouldn't want to live there because of the fact that there is little to no variation. Everyone knows exactly what is going to happen to them, and life is only good for the "socially-superior" people born naturally. This is NOT the way I would want to live.
Two positives aspects of life in GATTACE are:
1. You know when you die, and what you die of. If someone knew that they were going to die, they would want to live their life to the fullest.
2. You can follow your dreams, as long as your DNA is permitting. If you are born naturally, there is very few things that you cannot do. You are, in essence, perfectly designed based on your parent's likes and dislikes, and so you would not be discriminated against.

Two negative aspects of life in GATTACA are:
1. If you are NOT born naturally, you have very few opportunities in life. You can either become a broke ladder, or you have to face the discrimination and shortcomings of being this way. Although it is NOT right that they are "socially-inequivalent", that is the way life in GATTACA is.
2. You have your partner chosen for you. This is NOT, in my opinion, a good thing because then you are basically stuck with that person forever, and you never know what else is out there. You're forced to love this person that you barely know, and you never get the opportunity to fall in love or be swept off your feet by someone.
 
I wouldn't like to live in Gattaca. No one in that whole movie looked happy. I think that Gattaca would be a very boring place to live.

negative things:
-You might not get a job just because you may die at a young age or you are likely to get some disease.
-Everyone has access to machines to check your DNA.

positive things:
-You can prevent disease in your child.
-You know your likelyhood to get certain diseases.
 
I would have to say that I would not like to live in Gattica. Mostly because of reasons that have been listed before me. These include because this is a biased society and if I happen to be one of those who gets disciminated against then my life would just be horrible. I would just like to live life to the fullest and do the best I can, which is not really allowed in Gattica.

Lets see. The positives that I believe exist in Gattica are that people can know their percentage of getting different kind of life threatening factors. It can be determined what your chances are of getting a heart attack and other stuff. Another good thing is that you can know your life span. Even though it may not always be accurate, you can plan your life up to the day that you die since you know your age of death.

A negative that I think exists in Gattica is the prejudice and discrimination against the "Invalids." Sure they may have a higher chance of dying at an earlier age but that does not give people the right to put them at less of a position than others. Another negative is that somebody could be living their life as a lie and it might take a while for them to figure it out. If someone were to live their life as a lie, then it could disrupt the whole community and destroy it if the situation gets out of hand.
 
I would like to live in GATTACA. I would like to live in GATTACA because i like how advanced they have become. I would like knowing what i will die from because then i will live my life to the fullest.


1.you will figure out how you shoul live your life, and what to be good in. 2. i tink that i would feel safer knowing about all these technologies. i would feel protected.

1. you kow when you are going to die. 2. the security might be a little too invading.
 
Hi there everyone! ok here's the thing... I would like to live in GATTACA but i also would not. I think the technology they have there is so amazing. Ok ok i am a science nerd and like that stuff :-) but it is also not fair to some people to be judged because of their genetics. I think it would also be a little invasion of privacy if your boyfriend or girlfriend can just take a strand of your hair that you left on the pillow and go see your whole life. They can know what disease you have and basically what you're hiding(only if you are hiding something that is). It would be cool to be able to give your children perfectly healthy lives with no worries about their health issues because they are designed to perfection. However, I for one would not want to know when i was going to die. There are some things that should just be let up to destiny.

Anna Banana signing off.
 
I would never want to live in Gattaca. I think it's pretty stupid that you can't get a certain job you want because of your genes. So what you might die earlier than others because of a condition you have, you could be amazing at the job you want while you're alive and possibly make a great impact. You shouldn't be looked down upon and stuck with a job like a janitor like in the movie. Also, you can't even hide anything. All they have to do is take a strand of your hair or some blood and can basically see your life. I think that's a major invasion of privacy.
A positive thing about living in Gattaca is that you can genetically choose your child. Now, we've had discussions on this already, and I still hold the same opinion. It shouldn't be used for traits other than health. Not vanity. But it would be nice to be sure my child wouldn't get any diseases.
Also, their technology is very advanced, which is a good thing. So maybe if a couple didn't want to genetically choose their child and it did get a disease, they might be able to cure it.
 
ALTERNATE ASSIGNMENT

1. I deffinately would NOT want to live in GATTACA.

2. I deff wouldnt want to live here because there is no fun in life. Nearly every child has specific traits chosen by their parents. This way, when they are born, the parents already know everything about the child, and will not be able to learn new things about their offspring as they grow and change. This really doesnt seen right to me because I think life is partly about learning and excitement. These two aspects would not be found in the lives of parents of GATTACA. Another reason I would not want to live there is because nearly every child, aside from being chosen by parents, is perfect. I mean, who wouldnt want a perfect child if you could choose? However, i feel that this would again put a hampering on life. Most of the times, it is people's imperfections that make them unique. Everybody in society today is different from one another. But, in GATTACA, it seems as if uniqueness is much less common. The last reason I would never want to live in GATTACA is the fact that only one minute after somebody is born, their date and cause of death is already known. This aspect would make life there even more boring. Knowing the time and date of your death probably would not go over so well, in that you will be fearing that day your entire life. It think its more exciteing to simply leave that up to fate.



3.Positives
- aware of health issues myou could face in the future
- able to prevent physical and mental disease
Negatives
- discrimination against Invalids
- no element of surprise in life
 
I would not like to live in GATTACA because GATTACA is a place where everything is known about someone. the whole part of living is not knowing. Especially for the fact that you already know at birth what could go wrong with you and when you are gonna die. it is something you shouldn't know. it should be unexpected and thats what life is. it is not tested and put in a data base.
Two positives about living in GATTACA would be being able to help someone with a certain problem at birth and could potentially prevent it. Another reason would be that technology has advanced and many things can be determined just by a flake of skin or strand of hair.
Two negatives about living in GATTACA would be knowing how long you have to live because to me that is wrong and something that will make you feel like life is pointless and it will increase any mental problems with yourself. Another negative example is that people are discriminated from certain jobs and activities due to the fact that they are "love children" and not from what they consider "natural birth" babies. It is wrong to discriminate in the first place, and just for the fact that someone isn't perfect shouldn't matter. GATTACA would not be a good place to live due to the discrimination and technological advances. Somethings are just meant to be a mystery and meant to be figured out on your own during life.



3. List two positive and two negative aspects of life in GATTACA
 
Woot! I'll be different. I would love to live in GATTACA because it would mean my life's dream would come true: like Vincent, I have wanted to go into space forever. If I had the oppurtunity to go to Saturn in a year...or be on any of the 12 launches a day...*sigh*
Two positives: fast space travel, and trips in space that are at the moment unattainable
Two negatives: if I had something wrong with me, I wouldn't be able to go into space *sniff*, and I feel bad that people would be discriminated due to genetics...
:D
 
WOuld i live in gattaca? Yeah i would. I want to be perfect and i want everyone else to be either perfect or inferior. So i would love it. The good points is that everyone can be made to be better and that the world is working better and is more advanced be casue fo these "superhumans" Teh bad points are.... idk but if i myust there is moral issues with it and genetic discrimination ( we ahev that here since skincolor is genetic but hey its there too)
 
ALTERNATE ASSIGNMENT

One. Would you like to live in GATTACA?
Nope. Not now. Not ever.

Two. One of the most amazing things about life is not knowing what is going to happen next, and not living by a plan, but by chance. If parents choose every single trait that the child has, they are basically creating that child. What if the child grows up and decides that he or she wants to do the total opposite of what they're "meant" to do? Then the child has no freedom at all.


Three. Two positive aspects are you and your parents know what diseases you have from the minute you were born,
and your parents are able to choose your traits and characteristics. Two negative aspects of GATTACA are whatever diseases you do have may hinder your abilities to get a job, and at (or prior to) birth, your life is basically planned out, depending on traits and diseases this person carries. This would give the person no freedom for anything whatsoever... which would not under any circumstances be fun. Have your life planned out for you? I don't think so.

-JQ =D
 
I would not like to live in Gattica. There is too much predudice and fear. It is a good place because there is more technology. It is also good because we were exploring. It is bad bcause the government is bad. It is also bad because there is gene predjudice.
 
1.No 2.because how you do in life depends on your genes. 3. the positive things are, eliminated disease & problems are easily solved using their technology. The negatives are, job placement is determined by genes, and life is no fun because the surprise of hardships is taken out.
 
OK im back. No, i would not like to live in GATTACA. although 2 positive aspects of life include the priviledge of parents to choose their children's life, as well as people can live a flawless life, 2 negaqtive aspects are the harsh discriminatioon of "invalids" and the tedious security m,easures
 
I don't think that I would want to live in Gattaca. I don't enjoy the thought of a utopian society which is what Gattaca is, where everyone is supposedly "perfect."
A positive aspect of living in Gattaca would be that you wouldn't have to worry about any problems with your offspring, because technology would solve that. Also you could hand pick the characteristics of your baby.
A negative aspect of living in Gattaca would be that if you are a "love child" then you are going to be discriminated for your imperfections.
 
Being who I am now, I wouldn't want to live in Gattaca. I would be denied a real life and be discriminated against because of my genes. Had I been perfect and a "natural" child in Gattaca, I probably wouldn't mind too much...yeah, its an unfair society, but so is this one that we live in.
Negatives:
1. It's an invasion of privacy, having to be screened everyday.
2. Life seems awfully boring. Your either really successful, and you were born to be that way, or your stuck in a second class invalid life that you know you can't get out of.
Positives:
1. You have the oppurtunity to be perfect...or have perfect kids. Not into perfection? Well, you'll at least be designed to have the best health...
2. You know how long you'll live, and be able to make the most out of your time...
 
Not really, mainly because there would be the possibility of me being genetically inferior. Though I do think this technology has its advantage, allowing to select the best job candidates, preventing disease and problems with the body could create a healthier population. Problems: I don't think outright enhancement is that good of an idea, mainly as it could produce discrimination and/or individuals who are too powerful. Also, parent might want to make their dream, perfect child. An example from the movie: Polydactyl children to play piano. Problem: Child may not want to play piano, may feel pressured, and may be just plain picked on for his/her intentional "difference."
 
Megan Kennard

No...I would not live in GATTICA because everything is so strange becaue most of the population have specific traits that basicly were chosen for them. Two possitives about GATTICA are how advanced the software is and also That everyones DNA is in a database. Two negatives about living in GATTICA is that having your DNA in a database is bad also because you cant hide from any one and the second reason is that GATTICA is so different and I like a lot of the world how it is.
 
No, I would not live in GATTACA. I wouldn't live in GATTACA because its too organized. You know what you are capable of right at birth. And only perfect people can be in GATTACA. If you have a disease or will have a small chance of one you aren't perfect. People who aren't perfect are discriminated against as Invalid.

Positives
- you can find out any health conditions with you by checking strand of DNA
- you can prevent any kind of mental physical disease your child might have in their lifetime

Negatives
- Anyone can find about you using your DNA with anything from you
- You can be discriminated against, called an Invalid
 
i would not like to live in GATTACA but at the same time i would (a smaller part wants to live in it than doesn't) i think the technology was amazing and too cool. but i would not want to be judged by my genes, because i know no one i s even close to perfect and they would be overly analytical.
bad:
judged by genes not actual character
"if you judge someone you have no time to love them" - Mother Teresa
overly analytical and all around critical it would take the fun out of life to know exactly how i would die.
good:
technology would make everything so much easier and fun :~)
diseases could be found out and cured much faster and easier.
 
Good Cape Cod Morning ! 18 May 2007 : - )
 
Jessica Woeckener
period 3


No, I would not like to live in Gattaca because it is not a fair place. Just because you have a certain percentage of dying at a specific age you arent allowed to do certain things.
Two positive things about living in Gattaca are 1. you can know ahead of time about certain diseases and 2. you can prevent your child from having these diseases.
Two negative things from living in Gattaca are 1. the element of surprise would be taken away, you wouldnt know when you are going to die and from what. Another negatuve thing is that people are discriminated too easily. The "Love Children" arent allowed to do the same things as the "natural born kids."
 
I would like to live in Gattaca. The reasons I would live in Gattaca is because of the future technology, I would be able to live longer, and I would know more because of the advancement. Two positive things about Gattaca are they have space missions daily so they know a lot about everything and another positvie affect is people live longer. Two negative affects are that people are still be based on a fact about themselfs, and they use to many needles in that future society and I can't stand getting a shot in the vein so I don't belive I would enjoy it to much.
 
Mr. O'Brien said...

I don't think that I would want to live in Gattaca. I don't enjoy the thought of a utopian society which is what Gattaca is, where everyone is supposedly "perfect."
A positive aspect of living in Gattaca would be that you wouldn't have to worry about any problems with your offspring, because technology would solve that. Also you could hand pick the characteristics of your baby.
A negative aspect of living in Gattaca would be that if you are a "love child" then you are going to be discriminated for your imperfections.

5:19 PM
 
Mr. O'Brien said...

I don't think that I would want to live in Gattaca. I don't enjoy the thought of a utopian society which is what Gattaca is, where everyone is supposedly "perfect."
A positive aspect of living in Gattaca would be that you wouldn't have to worry about any problems with your offspring, because technology would solve that. Also you could hand pick the characteristics of your baby.
A negative aspect of living in Gattaca would be that if you are a "love child" then you are going to be discriminated for your imperfections.
 
1. Would you like to live in GATTACA?

Yes, Gattaca seems like a really safe place to be living in because of all the safety precautions and other such test to make sure that everyone is who they say they are but the annoying discriminating against those who werent as gifted with a strong hearts and other such things. But the safety system is quite good.


Gattaca has an awesome system that is used to make sure people are who they say they are. They keep people safe by getting samples of blood and hair and anything containing DNA. It also chooses the best people for each job. Eventhough that's bad and discriminating. It might be safer.

Gattaca does discriminate which is horrible and some people would have a really bad life just because their parents weren't careful. Anyone could get your files though/ Anyone could learn your weaknesses, your strengths and everything just by snatching your hair, which is bad.



3. List two positive and two negative aspects of life in GATTACA.
 
I think that i might want to live in Gattaca because it seems that they are advanced and can help cure lots of diseases and illnesses.I wouldnt like to live there because of the genetic discrimination.

THE POSITIVES
1. they probally have cures and remedies for diseases.
2. they have lots of advanced technologies

THE NEGATIVES
1.DNA discrimination
2.They are very careful with crime scenes and if you happened to be there at any time you could be convicted.
 
1. No ,because i don't care what people think and i would be proud of who i am no matter what!

2. No, personally I would love my child either way. No, i wouldnt change anthing about my second child becuase the way it comes out is the way its supposed to be. I would think my baby was perfect either way

3. No i would not
Positive- I guess if you want everything perfect its for you
Negitive- You would never know what life would be like if you didnt do that. Every thing would be as it was meant to be.

4. Well....idk...becuase maybe the person is highly quilfed which would be good for the few months that they would work there, but then a agin in the future there would be problems and make everything more complicated, which means i might just endup searching for a new aplicant anyway. it would all depend on the quification of the person.
 
Mine was for week one got confused onr after this is for week two the right one lol...piece hheheheheheh
 
No i would hate to have to live in a world where everything was perfect and according to your DNA!!!!!! I AM NO WHERES NEAR BEING PERFECT!!!! SO I WOULD HATE TO BE TOLD TO EVERYONE THAT I WAS PERFECT!!!I get that enough...lol...I like having disorder in my life..it makes everything interseting and worth wild..
Positive- It could cure dieases and stop people from dieing and can stop people from getting hurt emotional.(like people say something is retarded!)
Negitive- If there is something slitly wrong with you like color of hair of body type you would have to be changed. You also would be discriminated against as well which there is already enough of!!!
 
elias

Pre-birth selection of susceptibility to various diseases is an aspect of GATTACA which I found very interesting. I don't think that this is necessarily a bad thing: it's the most effective medicine. However, I can understand that, as with medicine, there are people who may believe that nature (or some other higher power) has a plan or system for how to deal with organisms.

Here is an article on people who are anti-medicine in general.

http://www.holysmoke.org/cos/scientology-anti-medicine.htm

I think the important thing is that if we ever were to live in Gattaca, the same kinds of people would be against the new methods, and opposition would continue as usual.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?