02 March 2008

 
Period 3 Postings and Links
Comments:
YESSS IM FIRST!!! ok

mutation in my words is a sorta, defect in the genetics of something that causes it to be different. My opinion is that mutations can be good and bad in some ways. My site is about whether mutation is harmful or not.
 
hey .... TH
give us a few more words to go with in your definition....
hj
 
im seconddddd

Th's site talks about mutation that it is harmful nor helpful. I think that is a good theory. Yet it also says that mutations can be favorable(but not many). It also talks about gene duplication and that one could remain the same and the other may change. They also did a study on the mutation of bacteria over 50 years and found that differnt environments have different effects on how many bacteria mutate.

Question: Do you think mutations are harmful or helpful and explain why or why not?
 
my bday's tomorw babyyy!!! yeah:)
 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY mRNA !
:)
hj
 
my post con't

mutation is when like, a chromosome or something goes wrong and causes something in the organism to be different then what it is supposed to be. In the textbook there is a picture of a mutated fly with legs growinf out of its head. because something went worng in its genes and causesd the mutation
 
Alright well I'm gonna respond to this one and get my extra points now because there's nothing to respond to in my own class's comments. So...

Mutation can be harmful or beneficial, depending on what the mutation is. The mutation will most likely happen due to a need to adapt to the environment. For example, if the temperature of a continenet suddenly gets much colder, animals may mutate to grow a much thicker coat of fur to deal with the changing environment. So a mutation can be good if, say, there is an increased amount of carbon dioxide that remains on the ground. Plants may mutate and grow special appendages to take in more carbon dioxide. This would be beneficial to humans. Mutation could be bad if, going back to a previous blog, there is a high level of antibiotics being used in an area. Animals living in that area may develop a mutation to be resistant to certain anitbiotics. This would be harmful because there would be a demand for new antibiotics and many people could die.

This site talks about how mutation can be bad, good, or not cause a problem at all.
 
good deal C6H12O6
hj
 
Sweet, I get to respond to Jon.

Okay well, the site basically talks about how a mutation can be beneficial or harmful to the recipient. Such things as a better beak for an eating advantage would be beneficial, and harmful things would be disadvantages or problems.
This site also discusses how DNA is strung together in different ways to form different proteins, effecting the organism. However, most DNA "words," have the same meaning, so changing that word to another with the same meaning, would not affect the organism.

Question: If some mutations do not cause outcomes because they have the same "meanings" (see above), then how can we know if we have had any of these mutations?
 
1. Mutations are just changes in anything. Not just outcomes, for instance, a person who has blue eyes can still see the same a s the person who has green eyes.
2.The site talks about...wait...where is obi's site? Do I still get full points? WHAT DO I DO?!
3.So my question is: are you ready? wait for it...wait for it.......If mutations are found in humans shouldn't there be people that are immune to the superbug, couldn't use mutation to our own advantage?
 
Ok obi where is your link???
yes wii you will still get full credit.... and i will rephrase your question to the next person... can mutation be advantageous?

hj
 
In response to billy's question, yes. A mutation could be ad-van-tee-age-ous. It might allow an organism to survive better.

QUESTION: How could a mutation be ad-van-tee-age-ous? How does this relate to natural selection?

DON'T CLICK ON MY NAME!
 
a mutation can be ad-van-tee-age-ous sometimes. In a good way it can help an organism to survive or could also be damaging to an organism. they also help for an organism to adapt to the environment that they are living in.

This site talks about if mutations are harmful or good.
 
mutations can either be helpful or harmful. for example, in the wild, a mutation could change an animals skin color which allows it to hide more easily. through natural selection, since its skin color is more effective it survives to reproduce. and soon more and more of these different colored animals start popping up.

Question: Do you think that without mutations,many species would have gone extinct?
 
Yes, I believe that without mutations, many species would have gone extinct. Mutations sometimes create an improvement and help species adapt better to their environments. They change certain things so that animals can survive longer.
Do you think it is ethical to run scientific experiments somebody with a mutation? Would it be ok because it is beneficial and could save other people?
 
The previous post was by ka!! ^^
 
mr ng.... i like your Q

"Question: Do you think that without mutations,many species would have gone extinct?"

but can i ask a related one... after a mutation, is it already a new species? if so is the "old species" extinct???
 
WOOOOHOO! I get Mr. Johnson’s question, saweeet. Yes, I do think that without mutations, many species would have gone extinct because like the anonymous person said above, some animals do need that mutation in their genes to evolve into a different and more advanced species. If the environment is constantly changing, then don’t the animals need to also? The answer is yes. Therefore, animals need positive mutations that will change them for the better, and help them adapt to the environment better. Now I don’t think all creatures would become extinct without mutation because some rely on the environment more than others. So there are different variations in all animals. Now for your second question, Mr. J! Wow, that’s a toughie. Well, when you say “it” are you referring to one single individual animal of a certain species or the entire species mutating? If it refers to only one single animal, then no I do not believe that it should be considered as a “new” species because you don’t know if the other members of the species will react similarly. However if the entire species were to change and mutate the same way, then I think that would be considered as the “new” species. And in order to be super sure, then I would wait for a few generations to undergo that mutation, just to be final and 100% sure. Well, yes the old species is extinct because when they die they do not exist anymore. Only the “new” species exists. Click! This here site, is another blog that I found, which is similar to this one. A couple of people gave responses and opinions about gene and chromosome mutations can bring about evolutionary changes.

Question: Does evolution depend on mutations?
 
I think that evolution does depend on mutations. The definition of evolution is change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift. If organisms were not constantly changing and adapting to their environments, then future species of that animal would not be able to survive in the new environment. If animals never evolved and changed, eventually, many species would end of becoming extinct. Mutatation allows for organisms and animals to stay alive as times change.

Question: If mutations are constantly occurring within our environment, how can we identify the mutated organisms from the "old species"
 
A mutated organism can be identified from the new organism mainly by looking at its DNA and genes and stuff. There isn't always a physical difference so you can't go by that. Sometimes the changes are big and more obvious. Other times they can be small and less noticeable.

This site is about mutations in DNA and genes and what some of the mutations are. Clickkkkkkkkk!
 
mr.j the you told me today that we needed a link even if you were asking a question. and it looks like you were "yelling" at matt for not having a link. but the blog assignment says we can have either a link or a question. so one of us is confused=] haha
 
hmmm well i dont really have a lot of time, so im just gonna respond, and if you tell me i need a link, i guess ill have to go back and do it. anyway, amanda's link gives the basics on mutations. It discusses how there are many different polymorphisms that vary from differences in eye color, to disease. Standardly however, geneticists only call changes mutations when they are more than just normal variations between people. It discusses how mutations can occur due to just replicating problems in the DNA or damage to the process caused by environmental and external forces. It only discusses the many different kinds of mutations possible.

Question: I actually dont know the answer to this so im hoping someone can answer it for me, after DNA has mutated, is there anyway to reverse the mutation throughany means?
 
bryan i dont have the slitest clue to what the answer of your question is sorry. i would have to agree with him in saying geneticists only call changes mutations when they are more than just normal variations between people. i think that if mutations never happened then many of the different species of animals today would be exstinct. i think that some mutation is bad like animals that may carry deadly diseases who develope immunity to antibiotices. Click Here this site talks about mutation in DNA .
 
Nice site Mike.

I do agree that the world would be very different without genetic mutations. And they can either be good or bad. I guess an example of a bad mutation is when the strep throat bacteria in my body became resistant to the antibiotics. Well, out came the tonsils. Mutations can really be any change in any organism, not just humans.

Youtube'd.

PS to Ji: Stop combining game systems!!!
 
Hmmm, interesting question brian. I tried googling it, and i couldn't really find anything. I'm not too certain, but my guess would be that once a gene is mutated, it can't go back to normal. however on one site theres was a thing called back mutation. Back mutation is "A mutation that causes a mutant gene to revert to its original wild-type base sequence." so i think in that case, the gene has been mutated, and then it goes through ANOTHER mutation that brings it back to it's original state. so my question is, can we make back mutation purposefully to cure diseases and such? idk if thats a good one, but its the best i could think of. =D
 
^Linda's Mom^...sorry about that. but anyways, i was in the process of responding to brians when mike and ninja posted before me, hope thats okay.
 
According to this This Site its IS possible to use a "back mutation" also called a reversion to reverse the mutation and get to how you were before the mutation. But i think its is possible that the gene could mutate again. The Back mutation probably doesnt work for all mutations because they didnt use it In "Lorenzos Oil."
 
I think making back mutations will help. But, the more mutations that are made for the good, the more the original problem may mutate....so eventually there will no longer be a cure. It is possible that the mutation may mutate faster than we can make things to fix it.

Question: Do you think that there may eventually be no solutions for mutations? How will that effect the advancement in sciences?

Click Here

This talks about the possibility if reversion and mutation
 
I think making back mutations will help. But, the more mutations that are made for the good, the more the original problem may mutate....so eventually there will no longer be a cure. It is possible that the mutation may mutate faster than we can make things to fix it.

Question: Do you think that there may eventually be no solutions for mutations? How will that effect the advancement in sciences?

Click Here

This talks about the possibility if reversion and mutation
 
Not my class!!!!

I think it may be posible in the future for there to eventually be no solutins for mutations. There may be a point where we are out of answers. This can effect the advacements in science because it can possilbly change how are technology today is. This may make us hav to ask more or new questions if we cant figure out wat to do.

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~plaisted/ce/problem.html

What do you think would become of our advancements in science if there were no more solutions to mutation?
 
Okay so i did the other blog wrong in first period so im gonna do this one right...oh yeahh and im not in this class..

If there were no solutions to mutations, then I think that something could go very wrong in this country, or in the world actually. If a mutation ocurred, and there were no solutions, depending if it was contagious or not, it could affect or wipe out a large portion of the population. It's very hard to comprehend that a mutation could actually come about that there is no cure to whatsoever, but it also does seem possible. Just like In Lorenzo's Oil. His disease affected many boys, but if it wasn't for his parents' research, he may have not survived. So overall, hopefully a mutation will never occur that modern medicine and science can not reveal an answer to.


Next Question?
1.What would you do if your son or daughter had a mutation that you knew there was no definite cure to?
Would you do anything (even illegal) to cure this mutation?
 
If there were no more solutions to mutations, I think that our advancements in science would change a lot. I agree with Sox (whoever that is) when they said that if there were no solutions to mutations, there would be no cure, because the organism would just keep mutating too quickly for scientists to cure. I also beleive that if there were no solutions to mutations that more people would become sick because original viruses would mutate to become new viruses with no cures. In the dictionary, the defintion of mutation is simply the act or process of being altered or changed. Although this does not sound like a problem, if there were no solutions, technology would be very different and the priorites of the scientific world would change.My link talks about solutions a mutation. It is also a website that you can type in like a keyword ond different articles come up.So yea...

Question: Do you think that mutation is more of a problem or something that should be left "unsolved"? In other words, is it a negative thing or a positive thing for organisms ( and viruses) to be constantly changing? In the future to you think it will do more harm (sicknesses) or good (adaptations)?

To Mr. J- When I was like really close to the end of this blog, someone else had posted and I really did not feel like doing it again.. so I hope you do not mind. I will do it again if you would like. See you on Monday :).
 
this is MOLLY






ok so i'm replying to...maggie!! yayyy i hope its easy haha. I do not think that mutation is a good thing, in humans. I think it gives them disadvantages in life and it gives them something to be self conscious about at times. I think it is a negative thing and it causes problems. They may assist in medications somehow(i'm not really sure how) and help discover new things, and this is positive in the science world, but not in real life...and mr j i know biology is life...but i'm talking about outside the lab doors...I think that if scientists and doctors and such can figure a lot out about mutations maybe they can cure them and prevent them, but if not i think they will cause more harm than good. no me gusta mutations.
ok next poster here is your QUESTION: Do you think that you would approach someone with a clearly visible mutation the same as if you were approaching a normal person? Why do you think it is so dificult for today's society to accept people with mutations or people who are just different? Do you think its harmful or helpful in a normal person's life?
 
My extra credit!!


Ok responding to molly's question. If i saw someone on the street with a mutation i would definitly would be hestitant in talking to that person. Im not one to sit back and make fun of someone but im also not one to jump up and say oh hi ... and stuff like that. Although i have to say i would definilty talk to them if they were my friend and i would not care if what society thought. I think it is so hard to be accepted into todays world becuase people have a steriotypical idea in their head about what people with a disease or a mutation are like. They could be the sweetest person you have ever known but others wont talk to them because they are slightly different. I think it could be harmful to a normal person because it is making them more steriotypical and more jugdemental with the more people they meet like that.

Basing off of molly's question what if you saw a person with a mutation in walking on the sidewalk, would you talk to them? what if that person was your friend? what if you were around a bunch of steriotypical people who would not talk to this person, would you branch out and go talk to them not mattering what society thought or would you follow along in society?
 
im responding 2 molly
i think it depends if i know the person w/ the defect, but i have 2 say if i didnt know the person i wouldnt aproach them the same way i dont know why it is just a habit.
i think people in todays soiceity people with mutations are being more accepted as we (the people)know more about the mutations like 1000 years ago people with defects would be shunned from society or dating back to aceint sparta they would kill all the babies with defects so i think that we have come a long way about accepting these differences that people have and saying they are humans just a little bit different. I thinkl that none can say they are "normal" i can say that everyone is "weird" in their own way but i think it is helpful in an healthy human being life.
Can genetic mutations produce positive changes in living creatures?

 
YAY i get to reply to molly.!!!!
I agree with molly about mutation not being a good thing in humans. I think it makes their lives kind of awkward for them, making them feel uncomfortable most of the time. I also agree that they could have disadvantages when it comes to most situations. molly is sooo right when she says that the whole mutation thing should stay in the lab. Biology is about nature..REAL nature, not something thats been "artificially" created...I dont like the idea of mutations at all. Mutation info site. This site basicly explains mutations && all that good stuff...and it talks about how most mutations are neither harmful or helpful...pretty much useless...i STiLL think they're bad though!!

Question: Would you ever participate in creating an "artificial" life form ??? (ie. a mutation)
 
I do agree with carnivore on the fact that artificial life forms just aren't right, and experimenting in the lab for possible mdeical advancements is fine but not creating life forms, or mutations. I think the artical carnivore posted has a lot of useful information and explains mutations. It also provides just a quick, simple answer as well as a more in depth explanation. I would never participate in creating a mutated life form as carnivore asked. I'm not going to protest it as long as its not taken too far and it is only used to help future generations.

1. Would you allow scientists to use your DNA to create another life form?

2. How do you feel about creating other mutations for more than just small experiments for medical advances?


By the way HJ, i like this new blog format.
 
1.I wouldn't want to have scientist use my DNA to create another life form unless it is for a really good cause. I wouldn't do it because I think it would be creepy and i don't know it would just seem weird.
2.Err... i don't think its right to create other mutations?! Um i kinda don't get the question... HELP! I think scientist need to focus on the mutations that people are experimenting now befdoore venturing off and looking ahead when something happening right now is not taken care of..... i think
Question:
How and what would you do if you had a mutation?!
 
Yeah its tink!!! O yeah!! So if I had a mutation I would live my life as normally as possible. I would live my life to the fullest and yeah try to help others with the mutation. I wouldn't want to know if i could die or how long cause that just is a bummer. its like the count down to your death. Yeah NO!! Who really wants that. i mean honestly. Would want to know that U were going to die in 3...2...1... well at least I know i wouldn't. So for my Question...... ( jepordy Theme goin on now) If your friend of a family member got a mutation how would you treat them?
Idk if that is good or not but it is all i can think of at this hour. I bet nobody is gonna even answer my question anyway. Kool beans!

Peacee and Have a good nite w/ the extra hour of sleep cause 2MORO the clocks go ahead!
 
good morning.
the show was great last night!
if you didn't see it
go see urinetown this weekend

:)

hj
 
Mutation is when DNA is damaged or change. I think that mutation is good or bad it depends on what kind of mutation it is. (http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/M/Mutations.html)Click Here I would treat them the sa me.
 
I'm last. ='[ lol.

Idk wat im responding to so I'm gonna wing it! lol.

Okay so mutation in my words would be a change in some chromosome that can cause problems in that person, or who ever it's taking place in.

I think anyone that has a mutation is gonna be more self conscious about themselves and what people say about them. I would be if it was me.

I think that if I knew someone with a mutation of any sort, I'd help them see that it's not about WHAT you look like, it's who you are inside that matters.

General site that talks about Mutations and how they occcur.

3 weeks to puppy time!!! Macaroni has been set down as the namee, Mac for shortt. I wanted Milo. =[[
 
Alexis's website talks about what is cell mutation and how it occurs. I saya Gene mutations occur in two ways, they can be gotten from a parent or got during a persons lifetime. Mutations occur in the embryo. as they mutate the embryo grows

TOO MUCH WORK!! =)

Y website talks about how cell mutation caused sickle cell anemia
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?