16 March 2008

 
Postings and Links Period Three
Comments:
I choose the hydrogen fuel station. I think this is a step in the write way to minamize global warming. I think that they should make more cars to test than 2.I like that it has zero pollution. I think more cities should have hydrogen fuel stations. http://www.fuelcellpartnership.org/fuel-vehl_stations.html
Click Here
 
I chose the headline, Disabled Girl's Parents Defend Growth-Stunting Treatment. In this article, it talks about parents and their 10 year old disbaled daughter. It tells about how they stunted her growth and maturity. She won't grow anymore or mature past her 10 year old self. The parents figured this would be easier to handle as she "grows older" since she wouldn't be getting any bigger. I think that they made both the right decision and the wrong decision in this case. It was a right decision because then as she gets older, they will be able to care for her more because she will be so small and easy to take care of. It would be easier than taking care of a disabled 23 year old. I think it was a wrong decision for a few reasons. One reason is because it is an illegal action, so they shouldn't have done it. Secondly, they are taking away a part of life from their daughter. I don't think it's right to do that.
Growth-stunting
 
I chose the Identical twins article. according to the article, it is commonly beleive that identical twins come from the same genetic material. So they should have the exact same dNA. Environmental factors can change things but they still carry the same dNA. However, it is now said that although they are very similar they are not exactly the same, there are things called phenotype, which is when they have the same genes but some are more or less active. Click Here
 
Kay. 2 weeks to puppy and I'm planning my Cali trip!

I read the article about identical twins cause I love twins! My cousins are twins, though not identical.

So the article talks about how our thoughts about twins being identical in even DNA, is false. GASP! I always thought they were...so anyways. Basically, new studies are starting to show that even though they appear identical, their genes are just very similar. One obvious cause of changes are enviornment. Like if they are separated at birth, one with each parent, and raised in the USA and Africa.

The article also talks about how, even with these new findings, how identical twins are still considered genetically identical. I think don't they are, even if they come from the same egg. In all cases, they can suffer different things and be so different, that I've never seen them as more than just two people who look alike.

Stereotypical Twins

This site talks shoots down the stereotype about identical twins being identical!
 
I read the Article "Snuffing Out Puffing Neighbors". I chose this article because my aunt, who lives in brooklyn, lives in an apartment/house thing. Her, my uncle, and my cousin all smoke. and despite the fact that they have a "smoking room", it can still be smelled throught the entire house. They have a person who is boarding on the second floor of their home/apartment thing, and i wonder if she's ever made any complaints like the people in the article. but anyways.... So it's about this family who is trying to get all multiunit dwellings to be smoke free. They felt that the smoke that crept under their door could be harmful to their newborn baby. What i would like to know is how much smoke ACTUALLY got into their apartment, and if it could ever really be a big health issue for the family, or maybe they were just exaggerating? i find it kind of hard to believe that a huge amount of smoke can slip in between a crack in the door, waft all the way down the hall, and slip under the family's door and still be concentrated enough to be a problem. Sure, the hallway might smell, but come on, let's get serious here. i doubt, unless there was really poor sealing on the apartments, that this could really happen. IDK!! but here's what i think should happen nationally, and soon...i think that in all apartment complexes, there should be certain buildings for people who smoke, and they automatically be put in that building(s), and then there should be smoke-free buildings as well. even though smoking is bad for you, you cant make people quit or shut people out because they make that choice. and not everybody can afford a home of their own, so what's a smoker to do? i think that my compromise is fair, don't you? (PS- im pretty sure they already have that in some/most places, but it should be made legally-binding and it should be enforced across the country.) My link is from Washington State University in the "family housing" link for students attending the college. it's a small part in the middle of the page, but i think it's good that students can choose a preference of smoking housing, or smoke-free housing. just another step in the right direction! =D
 
wow...that was reallllllly long. haha
 
i have chosen the hydrogen fuel station. i think that it is great that they are making hydrogen fuel stations. i think that this will definitely help in the prevention of global warming, and other pollution problems. the best thing about this fuel is that it has absolute no pollution. it exertes water vapor instead of harmful materials. i would have to think that this is a very good thing. Click Here
 
I chose the headline, Snuffing Out Puffing Neighbors. I think multiunit housing is a great idea for families with newborn babies, because I dont believe the baby should be exposed to second hand smoke due to careless smokers near them. However, I do agree with Shelby's argument. Smoke slipping through cracks like that could really be a result of bad sealing...which is the landlord's job. But i do believe that it is possible for there to be non-smoking living facilities and smoking living facilities. That would be the best solution because everyone shouldnt have to suffer if you decide that you want to smoke. Also, people arent really known for being considerate of who is near them when they are smoking..you get that every now and then...so my thing is, why should i have to suffer especially if you dont care about my well being???My Site This is a link to a construction site that builds multiunit housing.
 
I chose the hydrogen fuel station.
I think that this is a great way to stop global warming. There are no harmful pollutants thrown back into the air. and with this people wont have to change their lifestyle at all. u just drive around like u normally would.

my site is talking about the good things of a hydrogen car
 
I am writing about the "snuffing out puffing neighbors" article. I think that the Corley's have the perfect right to ask their neighbors to not smoke because of their baby. It was definitely the right thing to do. Secondhand Smoke is a huge problem, and its hurting people against their will. Awareness of these apartment situations should be fought against. What if the Corley's could not afford to move? What would have happened to their baby? It is not fair that other people in apartment buildings should suffer from other peoples life choices. It is absurd to think otherwise. Anyways, here is a site that thinks apartments linked with secondhand smoke is a problem: Tah-DAHHH!! This site actually even talks about a project helping these situations.
 
I chose the snuffing out puffing neighbors article. I felt really bad for the Corley's. Their neighbor was completely rude and in my opinion, heartless. I think it should be illegal to smoke in general, so i definitely think we should take the next step towards making it illegal to smoke in apartments. Too many people die from it, and it is unnecessary. I think that if someone wants to raise their little baby girl without the risks of smoke damaging her lungs, they should be able to.Families should not have to move just to get away from smoke, smokers should get away from families. They don't realize that they're harming themselves, and when they do they don't realize they're harming others. And, if people are like the Corley's neighbor, they're inconsiderate and don't pay attention to other people and their wishes. I think that it should be illegal to smoke in apartments. If we can't do that, there should be separate apartment buildings for smokers and non smokers. This site supports my opinion because the people they're writing about banned smoking from the condominium. The people support my opinion, and i just wish nobody ever smoked because it does too much damage.
 
I chose the article "Snuffing Out Puffing Neighbors" I think the Corley's had some bad luck. I feel bad for them because it must be frustrating for them. I think its stupid to let other people smoke in apartment buildings. If people cannot smoke in public facilities what makes this different? I think from now on people should smoke outside their apartments. Besides their home will be cleaner and less disgusting if they do it outside.
smoke free apartment buildings
 
I chose snuffing out puffing neighbors. it talks about a family who had a baby and people in their apartment building smoke and it travels in the air. I think that it is not fair for that family to deal with that. It should be illegal to smoke in a building or any public area. I think that smoking should actually be illegal but that will never happen. Smoking does nothing healthy for you and all it does is waste your life and money. It is like the baby is smoking because second hand smoke is just as bad as smoking.

Click Here
 
Tink here! Since it is good friday i chose the article about "new sins". I belive that that church is right in saying that things like human cloning is wrong, but the world is changing. Yes people are causing global warming and we can do things to help. Saying it is a sin i think is a little much. Times are changing and with the way we live anymore its just something we really cant help. there are things you can do to slow it down, but there is no way it is going to end in the near future. To go back to the cloning thing, personally i believe cloning humans is wrong. So that i believe is something that is true that they are saying is wrong.
Here is a article from CNN that is about President Bush saying that human cloning is morally wrong.
HAPPY SPRING

Cya all Wednesday!
 
I chose the "Snuffing Out Puffing Neighbor" article. Well, i think that smoking is just horrible altogether. Seriously, people need to stop somking because it not only has a negative effect on you but also on others. I feel bad for John Corley and his kid becasue they both were effected by cigarette smoking. But, i really felt bad for John and his wife becasue they realized the negative of smoking and decided to do away with it. However moving to another apartment did not help. I think that we should just outlaw smoking. I mean seriously that's the only possible solution to ending these problems and diseases. Now im referring back to the apartment situation. In order to solve this, the apartments csn do what every other restaurnt or facility does. Why don't they just forhibit smoking in the apartment and tell them to smoke outside. This way we will not have that second-hand smoking problem.
 
I read the article about new sins. I think its great that the vatican is becoming green, but I think that some of the sins are over the top. Sometimes, innocent people really cant help pollution, like if you have a car that isnt hybrid, its not really your fault. ya knoww? and I think that stem cell research is a good thing if you can find cures for diseases that kill lots of people each year. I think to make drug trafficking is kind of weird, because its just common sense that drugs are bad. I think that adding sins that basically say that some types of researchs are bad is unnecessary.



Clickkkkk
 
o000o0opss again i forgot to put a link up so heres mine

click
 
I chose the article Disabled Girl's Parents defend growth- stunting treatment. I chose this article because I remeber hearing about it a while ago and wanted to read more into it. I felt that this argument was very hard to take one side on. I agree with both sides in certain aspects, but for the most part I am against it. For one side, I agreed with the parents. Because Ashley was under 18, they technically have the right to make those types of decisions for her. I also think that having that done to her did not affect her in a negative way neccisarily because I do not think that is caused any more brain damage. Remembering that she can not talk or walk, what would have growing up done for her? Unless of course, medicine had progressed and helped her, as stated by Anne Radner, a women who suffers from cerebal palsy as well. I feel that this move was a little bit selfish on the parents part. Their reasoning for doing this was so it would be easier to carry her, so she would not have to go through any cramps or bleeding when she matures and some small other reasons. I do not feel that these reasons are good enough to make a girl never grow up. My link is Ashleys homepage with a blog and photos. It also has a lot of links regarding her situation as well as the opinions of many people about the parents choice.
 
The Hydrogen Fuel Station in White PLains.
It is one of 3 cities to promote hydrogen fueled cars. Although the cars are around $90000!!!!! they reduce pollution and extensive use of our natural resources. There are already two versions created by GM. There are also three vehicles that run on hydrogen and electricity rather than electricity and gasoline. These are the new hybrids. Before the making of this new station White Plains have already been doing great things such as being the only ethanol-fueling station in New York.

I think this is a great idea and as soon as the price of the cars decrease more and more people will start buying them and the world will be a better place, well at least as pollution goes. This is the answer to our problem. We can improve health and our daily lifestyles. Save money and possible time. I think this is the best idea since inventing the light bulb.
Click Here
 
I chose the "new sins" article.

Oh, the battle between the Church and science! Somehow, I wasn't surprised when I found out that genetic manipulation was a sin. I can understand that though, destroying embryos is violating the rights of human nature. As much importance the Vatican has though, I don't think it has the utmost authority to say that pollution or economic injustice is a sin. And I wasn't all that surprised that 60% of the Catholics in Italy stopped going to confession. As a Catholic myself, I haven't gone to confession in a few years. But what can you do?

Ongoing discussion on the Vatican's power

Happy Easter everyone.
 
Well, i chose the snuffing out puffing neighbors. well, in the article is discussed house a family is forced to move twice to escape the disgusting intrusion of smoke in their home. I understand that any kind of legal action takes time, but i think there definitely should be a ban on smoking in all public places, including multiunit dwellings. Im not exactly sure of how harmful smoke will be that is traveling from an apartment, out through a crack in the door, down a hallway and then into another apartment. However, i do know that the smell of cigarette smoke is very unsettling and a great disturbance. I see it like having an apartment neighbor that blasts the music and throuhgs parties alll day. It may not be harmful, but at the very least it is extremely annoying, and they should be asked to leave. I think that the landlords should take the initiative to throw out any of the tenants that are causing a disturbance. If that means a ban to make them do that, then so be it. I think cigarettes should be banned period. but thats not exactly what this is asking. In any case, i dont think that anyone should have to go through what the Corley's did.

Here is my link
 
good morning !
:)
hj
 
Hey Mr.J sorry its late,

I chose the snuffing out puffing neighbors article. I understand that the non smoking parents with a 10 week premature baby don't want smoke wafting into their apartment. However i don't think they have the right to say who can and cannot smoke in their own home. If there was a problem with he building like holes in the floors letting up smoke or something similar, i could easily understand complaining to the landlord. And although it would be nice to get rid of cigarettes, or be able to ask someone to stop smoking and they listen, i don't think it is going to happen.
 
I read the Article "Snuffing Out Puffing Neighbors". I chose this article because my aunt, who lives in brooklyn, lives in an apartment/house thing. Her, my uncle, and my cousin all smoke. and despite the fact that they have a "smoking room", it can still be smelled throught the entire house. They have a person who is boarding on the second floor of their home/apartment thing, and i wonder if she's ever made any complaints like the people in the article. but anyways.... So it's about this family who is trying to get all multiunit dwellings to be smoke free. They felt that the smoke that crept under their door could be harmful to their newborn baby. What i would like to know is how much smoke ACTUALLY got into their apartment, and if it could ever really be a big health issue for the family, or maybe they were just exaggerating? i find it kind of hard to believe that a huge amount of smoke can slip in between a crack in the door, waft all the way down the hall, and slip under the family's door and still be concentrated enough to be a problem. Sure, the hallway might smell, but come on, let's get serious here. i doubt, unless there was really poor sealing on the apartments, that this could really happen. IDK!! but here's what i think should happen nationally, and soon...i think that in all apartment complexes, there should be certain buildings for people who smoke, and they automatically be put in that building(s), and then there should be smoke-free buildings as well. even though smoking is bad for you, you cant make people quit or shut people out because they make that choice. and not everybody can afford a home of their own, so what's a smoker to do? i think that my compromise is fair, don't you? (PS- im pretty sure they already have that in some/most places, but it should be made legally-binding and it should be enforced across the country.) My link is from Washington State University in the "family housing" link for students attending the college. it's a small part in the middle of the page, but i think it's good that students can choose a preference of smoking housing, or smoke-free housing. just another step in the right direction!
 
I did about the "snuffing out puffing neighbors" article. I think that the Corley's have the perfect right to ask their neighbors to not smoke because of their baby. It was the right thing to do. Secondhand Smoke is a huge problem, and its hurting people against their will. Awareness of these apartment situations should be fought against. What if the Corley's could not afford to move? What would have happened to their baby? It is not fair that other people in apartment buildings should suffer from other peoples life choices. it is ludacris!!!!It is absurd to think otherwise. I would recomend to band smoking but i think that would lead to something like prohibition. Anyways, here is a site that thinks apartments linked with secondhand smoke is a problem:Click HereThis site actually even talks about a project helping these situations.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?