25 May 2008
Yup, that’s right! Homeostasis, that dynamic balance is what manages to keep us all alive… on a cellular level, an organismal level, and even within the ecosystem. We can call maintaining that balance “getting over a cold,” “easing our hunger pangs,” or a “secondary succession to a climax community. “ But in each case we are maintaining homeostasis.
This week I would like to have another conversation.
Here are the ground rules:
This week I would like to have another conversation.
Here are the ground rules:
- I will start the conversation with an organism that is slightly “out of homeostasis."
- The next person to post must explain in biological terms how that organism would recover its homeostasis. That means they must list an organelle, organ, organ system, or ecological principle that would restore that dynamic balance, and state exactly what would be done to correct the “error.”
- They will then create another problem, illness, or out of balance situation.
- It becomes the job of the next person posting to recover the homeostasis in the very same way…. And on , and on, and on… till everyone has posted.
I am sure that I will make a few contributions to this week’s blog… just to keep it going in the correct direction. And one more thing… no double postings of the same problems!
Happy blogging :)