14 September 2008

 
Period One: Opinions & Posts
Comments:
No I would not take the "spit test" because I don't want the whole world to know what my genetic traits are.

One good use of this technology would be that a person could know what is wrong or what genetic traits they have.

Two facts I learned from the 23andme site is that all of us have 23 pairs of chromosomes and none of us are world class sprinters.
 
I would want to take the spit test because I would want to know the chances of developing cancer and chances of having a complicated pregnancy.
One bad use of this technology is that the results are based on a wide spread range of science and the research is considered preliminary.
From the 23andme site I learned that 17% of us use our left hand and that 14% of us have perfect pitch.
 
I would want to take the spit test because if there is any chance that I had some kind of disease and it shows that I have a good chance of getting whatever it was, then I would be more motivated to get a test to see if I had it. One bad use of this technology is that if a person has a good chance of getting some disease they may be worried about it their entire life. On the 23 and me site I learned that each person has the same set of genes and that genes make proteins.
 
I would take the spit test because there have been diseases in my family that I would like to know about.

One good use of this technology is to use it to solve a crime using foraign DNA to the victim.

The two things I learned from the 23andMe site are that your DNA can be used to track your ancestry and what SNPs are.
 
I think that taking the spit test would be an interesting thing to do. Although knowing if you have a genetic gene that is not so good can be helpful for the future, and tells people before it is too late to do anything. Two facts I learned at the 23andme site was that Prince Leopold died from falling down the stairs at a yacht club in France, because his body was unable to clot his blood. Also 67% of us have a history of cancer.
 
Though the spit test would tell me a lot I would rather keep my future a suprise. Live for today and hope for the best tomorrow. A good thing about this test is it can tell you about any possible diseases or other health issues so you can treat them before they become serious. I learned that you receive 23 chromosomes from both parents, for a total of 46. A male has an X and a Y chromosomes while females have two X's.
 
1] Well if I had the money just lying around, I don't see why i wouldn't take the "spit test". I think it'd be interesting to find out about what traits have been passed on to me and what possible complications I could experience later on.

2] One good use of this technology is that it would make treating people easier, like if someone doesn't respond right to a medication they can give them the "spit test" and find out why that is.

3] Two things that I learned from the 23andMe site is that everyone has the same genes, but they are just different variations and that phenotypes are your observable traits.

:]
 
No I would not want to take the spitting test, because I wouldn't want to live with the dread of knowing you will inherit some illness. A good use of the spitting test is finding the victim of a crime from DNA. One thing I learned from the 23andme website is that everyone has a pair of 23 chromosomes. I also learned that 67% of people have cancer in their family.
 
I would take the spit test becasue i would deffinetly like to know if tere is somethign wrong with me. the earlier you catch a disease the better chances you have of fighting it; therefore, if I take it then I would be able to know ahead of time and get rid of it. Fro mthe site 23andme i learned that you cna learn more then 500,000 SNp at once and i learned that you can use SNP's to tell how closely related you are to someone
 
1. Yes, I would take the "spit test" because I would want to know if I was at risk in any way of inheriting a disease. Knowing this, and having this information might allow me to receive treatment before the disease becomes too serious. It would also provide me with the precautions of having children. This is because if I found out I was carrying some sort of disease that could possibly be passed to my children, I would not want to spread it to them.
2. One good use of this technology is the fact that if the test is taken, and something genetically wrong shows up in the results, there is time to attempt to treat or medicate the disease before the doctor says, ā€œI’m sorry sir, there is nothing we can do, it is to late.ā€
3. Two facts I learned from the 23andMe site is that it costs $399 per person plus shipping and handling to buy the kit. You can also send the kit as a gift to friends, neighbors, and family members. I also learned that each person has relatively the same set of genes, 20,000. However the slight differences in this number come from minuscule variations in these genes.
 
I probably wouldn't take the spit test because i would rather keep my laugh as a surprise and just go to the doctor regularly.

This new technology could be good because many people can prevent horrible diseases that they could inherit.

I learned that 17% of people are left handed and that 14% of people have perfect pitch.
 
1. I wouldn't take the spit test because it's expensive, and the only disorders that run in my family that I'd want to know about, I've already been tested for.
2. One excellent use of this technology would be to make advances in gene therapy.
3. two things I learned from the 23andme site were that there are variations in how your genes affect you and that spontaneous things can happen regarding genes.
 
Honestly, I think i would take the Spit test. If there is a way to know how to fix your future from diseases, I think most people would take the chance.For instance, if some sort of cancer ran in my family, and this was the only way to find out how to treat it, i would spit in a second. LOL.

One good use of this technology would to be able to find a cure.You suddenly find out that you have some terrrible disease and they got the test results back soon enough for you to be able to start treatment.

Two things i learned from the 23andMe site would have to be that 88% of us have wet earwax and that all of us can smell the asparagus odor in our urine.
 
1. I would not take the spit test because I do not think our family has a history of diseases so I do not need to see the chanse of me getting one.
2. A good use of this technology is to track people with diseases, or likely to get a disease, to see if enviromental factores make a difference.
3. From the 23 and me site I learned that 44% of us have attached earlobes and that 13% of us have Restless Leg Syndrom.
 
I think I would take the spit test because, if in the future if I needed to watch out for a special side-effect or something on my body, i would want to know, if i have a certian disease or health porblem that i would need to treat.

A good use of this technology is that incase your family dose have a long list of cancer or serious diseases this technology can deffinatly help you .

Two facts that I learned from the 23and me websit is that DNA can be used to track your ancestry & that 67% of us have a history of cancer.
 
I would take the spit test only because I am curious to see what diseases I might have and how I can prevent them.

One good thing would be you could catch some diseases early on and have a better survival rate.

Two facts I learned were your phenotype is your observable genes and is an SPN is copied wrong it can result in the person having a disease.
 
I would take the spit test so I could know the diseases that I could recieve in the future.I would become more cautious of cancer and pregnacies being complicated.

One good result of the spit test and that technology is that people could know the diseases before and try to stop them.

Two facts that I learned from the 23 and me site is that 19% of us have a family history of Alzheimers disease and 44% of us have attached earlobes.
 
I would not want to take the spit test because if it said I had a chance of getting a disease then I would be living my life in fear of getting it.
One bad use is people,like me, would be living their life in fear of getting the disease.
Two things I learned was Prince Leopold died because his body couldnt unclot is blood. I also learned that everyone has 44% of us have attached earlobes.
 
I would not take the spit test because i would not want to know my future because i believe that everything happens for a reason and there's nothing you can do about it.

A good application of this technology would be, in hospitals. It could be used to figure out what disease you may have based on your genes and it would cut down on the time it takes doctors to diagnose and treat that disease.

I learned that 17% of us are left handed, and that 88% of us have wet earwax.
 
Yes i would take the spit test because i would like to know what is going to happen to me in the future.

One good thing to come from this technology is that scientist could know sooner if someone might have a cancer and they cou;d start treatment sooner.

two things i learned from the
23andme sight is that each person has about 20,000 genes. Second is that it is genetic if you have dimples or not.
 
1) I would only take the spit test if something came up and there was a chance it could be a problem. If there was a chance for a problem, I would like to know in advance if I should be getting treatment.
2) A good use for this technology would be to help in knowing a problem if there was a chance it might happen.
3) I learned that 22% of us are lactose intolerant. Also, I learned that 17% of us have family history of multiple sclerosis.
 
1. I probably would not take the spit test. I wouldn't because it takes all of the guessing out of life. Plus, i would get really nervous if i knew i had a bad genetic trait thats life threatening.

2.One good use would be that people know some diseases they have and they can treat it before it gets too bad.

3. Two things i learned were that 13% of us have RLS(Restless Leg Syndrome)and 17% of us have Multiple Sclerosis in our family history.
 
i would not take the "spit test" becuase it would spoil the surprise of life.
one good use for this technology is to use it to find or test the saliva samples and she if they can cure any of those dangerous diseases genes =P
two facts i learned from the site 23andme were tht:
-22% of us are lactose intolerant.
-44% of us have attached earlobes.
 
1. Yes, I would take this spit test because I would like to see what my future could be like for me with my genetically controlled traits.

2. One good use for this technology is that if someone had a bad genetically controlled trait they could be ready and cure it.

3. Two facts that I have learned from the 23andMe site is that genetic switches control the traits cells express, also that DNA is organized into chromosomes.
 
No i would not take the "spit test" because i dont think that knowing that i have the gene for something like blue eyes is that important in your future. However, if you know you have a spcific health problem in your family its not a bad idea to take the test.

One good use of this technology would be to find out a sickness that was in your genes. In kmnowing this you may be able to save some lives.

Two facts i learned from the
23andme site are that you can trace your maternal line by using mitochondrial DNA and you can trace your paternal line through the Y chromosome
 
I wouldn't want to take the spit test because if something bad was found in my genes I wouldn't want to have to be waiting for the moment that I get it. One good use that would come out of doing the spit test would be that people would try to prevent getting a disease that is in their DNA. Two things I learned from the 23andMe site are that you can trace your ancestry, and both men and women can get breast cancer.
 
I would not take the spit test because I would want to find out what my genetic traits are later in my life by going through life.

One good use of this test would be that people can learn about what they have and maybe doctors could use this test in someway to find cures for these illnesses.

Two facts that I learned from the 23andMe site is that 41% of us have a family history of migraines and that all of us can smell the asparagus odor in our urine.
 
1) I would only want to take the spit test if I knew of a particular disease in my families bloodline.

2)One bad use of this technology is that someone can develop a special disease specifically targeted at a group of people with a certaint gene trait (like a Madman/Mad Scientist)

3)Two facts I learned from the 23andme site is that almost all our bodies cells contain some form of genetic information about us and that genes make protein.
 
I would take the spit test because if i had a trait that runs in my family i would want to be treated for it as soon as I can.

One good thing about this is that they could find a person who could have a bad disease that runs in there family and be able to know how to avoid it.

Two facts i learn from 23andme was that the speed gene is called ACTN3 and Queen Victoria's family disease is hemophilia
 
I don't think I would take the spit test. I want to live my life by going through events that are unexpected. Yet, one good use of this technology would be that we would all know what we are capable of and use that to our advantage.
Looking at the website , I found that we have 23 chromosomes and that the Spit Test is getting a lot of media coverage.
 
good morning
:)
hj
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?