16 November 2008

 
Postings and Menus Period 8
Comments:
After inspecting all fifteen of the family's diets, I observed many interesting situations. Regional and economical differences in the households seemed to affect the amounts and types of foods present. For example, the more wealthy American households were stocked with a huge variety of processed foods, yet the households of poorer foreign villages consumed minimal grain and occasional fruit.

Although many of the other families' diets were almost as healthy as the Ahmeds', their Egyptian family seemed to surpass the rest with their hearty supply of green vegetables, fruits, and lean meats. Their favorite dish was okra with mutton. Their diet did not include processed food or sugary drinks. A small amount of carbohydrates was consumed by this family. In addition, all of the family members seemed to be more physically fit than the other families exhibited.

As for the least healthy diet out of all the families listed, I had trouble deciding between the Revis family of North Carolina (who ate an excess of fattening processed foods) or the Aboubakar family of the Breidjing camp (who only had a minimal amount of grain to eat). Since both groups of people were in totally different situations and they were both bereft of healthy food, I chose both of them. Although they were diverse in that one had too much to eat and the other didn't have enough to adequately sustain themselves, both lifestyles were unhealthy.

I think that the most similar diet to my family would be the diet of the Dong family in Beijing. Like most Asian families (including my own), they drink a lot of water, eat a substantial amount of fruits, vegetables, rice, and meat, and some processed snacks. I think that the Dong’s diet is moderately healthy, even though they do eat some unhealthy foods. I believe that fattening foods are fine to consume in moderation.

Using the US Department of Agriculture link, I found a scrambled tofu meal that consisted of tofu, eggs, salt, pepper, bean sprouts, garlic, watercress, mushrooms, cheese, butter, bell peppers, and green onions. I love all of the ingredients listed, but would leave out the cheese and butter because of their lack of authenticity to Asian culture. It is an inexpensive but satisfying meal.
 
After viewing the families diets i found that the Dong family has the healthiest diet. To the eye what seems most healthy is their choices choices of what is significant and what is not. They have many types of fruits, they have a necessary amount of meat. They obviously drink a great deal of water, they have eggs, milk. Basically everything that is required on the healthy food pyramid. As you can tell they do not go towards fast foods, they have a small portion of that in their diet. They do not have a great deal of soda, they have orange juice instead. Overall this family seems the most healthiest and knowledgable as to what they are putting in their bodies. And that is the problem with America, many of us do not think before we eat. If it smells good and our stomachs are hungry, bring it on! Thats the "political views" of America in this day.

The Revis family of North Carolina seems to be the least healthiest . This is due to the decent amount of take-out and chips. There is a lot of diet soda rather than water and healthy drinks, for example orange juice. There is not enough fruits and vegetables. There is a need for more healthy foods and they should pay attention to what they are putting in their mouth.

The Sobczynscy family seems to be most like my family. There is a decent amount of vegetables, there is fuits, bread. There, in the mix of things are candies which is my families weakness. Basically, what it boils down to is everything is very similar to what my family eats. I would not characterized this diet as "bad" or "good" because we could use more fruits and vegetables and we do consume a lot of meat and fish. We have an okay diet. There are always room for improvements.


I would choose, from the US Department of Agriculture, a meal for example, french toast. This meal includes bread, two eggs, and additional topping,if necessary. The meal is delicious and filling. All together, the meal costs $.88. Perfect, right under a dollar. Filling, cheap, and delicious. How much better can you get?
 
After seeing all 16 families diets. i have come to the conclusion that the Dong family, in my opinion has the healthiest diet. There family's diet seems to be full of fruits and vegetables. Yet, also has other necessities such as eggs, bread & water needed to maintain a healthy, functioning body.


The least healthy diet, i would most definitely say was the Aboubakar family of Breidjing Camp. There food was quite scare, and looked as if it only consisted of few grains and vegetables. For children that are growing into adults, in my opinion, they need a lot more food then that to have their bodies develop healthily.


The families diet that looks like the one i'd most likely eat would be, The Caven family of California. Their diet seems the most like mine. Filled with fruits, vegtables, and healthy alternatives like raisin bran. But, there is also icecream and cookies. Its a good balance and is the way i eat at home.


I think nutritionists may say that that diet is .. bad, due to all of the icecream, cookies and frozen pizzas. but to be honest, i'd classify it as a good diet. yes, there are some sweets here and there, but i think i deserve, and as does everyone else to have a bowl of icecream because you feel like sitting in your bed cuddled with yourself, your blanket, a good movie and a bowl of your favorite icecream. in my opinion those sweets and treats are good as long as you exercise, and also eat healthily. ex: eating whole grains.


The recipe i chose was the Instant Chocolate Mousse, and i chose it .. out of all honesty, because i'm kind of craving chocolate right now, and when i saw the ingredients search box, the first thing i typed was chocolate, and wallah. :)
 
Once I was done looking over every family and examining their diets and cost of food, I am prepared to answer questions. The healthiest family diet looks like the Ahmed family of Cairo. I can obviously see several vegetables and fruit on the table. I also see many starches and some meats. This family seems to have a diverse amount of food, and a good amount of it. There are also not may fats or sugars,either.

The least healthy diet seems to be the Revis family of North Carolina. They are first off, showing a greasy pizza. Next I see McDonalds and Burger King. Thats a definite no. There doesn't seem to be many "fresh foods" around them either. Only once I sort through the mess of all the pre-packedged and processed food can I find a very small amount of fruits and vegetables.

I honestly can say that no family is similar to my family's diet. All of our food is very diverse and we eat things from all around the world, and most of our diet consists of fruitsand vegetables and lean meats. But, these foods do come usually prepackaged, except for the fruit. Fast-food is something that hasn't entered my house for years. I do believe that my family has a good diet.

Baked Chicken with Vegetables


Corn Tortilla

For dinner I would make one serving of chicken with vegetables and one serving of a corn tortilla. I would put the chicken and vegetables in the tortilla and eat that for dinner. Together this dinner costs $0.95. It has lean meat, along with vegetables and grains. I think it is a good meal because it is well-rounded.
 
In my opinion the family with the healthiest diet was the Egyptian family. They have a variety of fruits, vegetables and meat. Also they drank water and there was no fast food or processed food.
I think the family from South Carolina had the least healthiest meal. There was not alot of fresh foods that they ate. Most of the food was sugary and processed which is not a healthy lifestyle.
The family that i think as the closet diet to mine is the Caven family of California. Like my family they have healthy snacks and fruits. Unlike my family though they drink soda and my family does not. I think their diet is healthy. Even though they do have some unhealthy food.
For dinner, I would have the lentil vegetable soup. it has plenty of proteins, carbs, and fiber. Thus it is a well rounded meal.
 
1.The family that looks the healthiest to me is the the one in the first row second one down. it has a huge variety and it has fruits and vegtebles which makes it even more healthy.

2.the one that looks the least healthy is the one in the last row second one down. it has not that much of variety.

3.the one that looks like the one that i would eat is the first one in the first row because it looks really delicoius and there s a large variety of the food so there is more for 1 person to eat.

4.it looks like a healthy diet because it has more than one type of food. that means there are many vitamins in the meals.

5.i found anytime pizza. since i already like pizza, and this is really cheap so it must still taste really good.
 
After seeing all of the different families from the different countries I have decided that I think the family from Poland is the healthiest. They look healthy to me because there is no fast food in the picture and there is a lot of fruits, vegetables and other healthy items within the picture. I believe the the least healthy family is the Revis family of USA. They had so much unhealthy food it was unbearable. Most of the food was from Fast Food restaurants or other fattening foods. The Caven family from California has the diet that most resembles my families. It has quite a bit of healthy food but also contains some fattening things like my families diet. I would probably classify my diet as bad because I do eat a lot of fattening and processed food that is not good for your body. I should probably eat more healthier foods to make my diet better and more healthy so I could live longer. I would eat baked Pork Chops as my dinner for one day that was less than a dollar because Pork Chops are one of my favorite foods and when I read the recipe they sounded delicious. For me to eat Baked Pork Chops it would only cost $0.88.
 
The Al Hagan Family of Kuwait looks the most healthy because there is little or no junk food and a good balance. The Aboubakar family of Breidjing Camp looks the least healthy because of the little variety and little amount all together. The Revis fanily of North Carolina looks most like my diet. I would characterize my diet as bad because I eat fast food once or twice a week and eat junk food like chips and soda a lot. I would make tasty low fat cream soup because it sounds good, I mean its tasty.
 
hey johnson. do i get any lollipops if i do the blogs?
 
I think that the family with the healthiest diet was the family from Italy because there was a lot of bread and vegetables. The family with the least healthy diet was the family from Bhutan, because they did not have enough food for the amount of people in their family, and there was little variety. The family with the diet most similar to mine was probably the family in California, because although they eat some processed foods, there are also healthy foods. I would describe the diet as relatively healthy, because it is okay to eat junk food every once in a while. The recipe that I chose was chicken and beans, because it looked pretty good and had moderate amounts of fats, calories, carbohydrates, and protein
 
I think that the Ecuador family was the most healthy. They have a variety of different foods, and they do not have any processed foods. I think the family from north Carolina in the United States had the least healthy food. They had a lot of fast food and processed food. I think my family is most like mine is the family from Great Britain who live in California. They have a lot of fruits and vegetables, which my family has and they do not have a lot of processed foods, but they do have some. I would probably have the Italian bean patties. they seem the most interesting and they have all of the proteins, carbohydrates, and fats you need in your diet.
 
After looking at all 16 families diets i have concluded that the Al Haggan family from Kuwait City has the healthiest diet. I think their diet is the healthiest because they have no fast food. Also they drink mostly water and eat many vegetables and fruit. The family's diet that i would say is the least healthy is the Revis family from North Carolina. I think it is the least healthy diet because they eat a lot of fast food and other unhealthy food. The families diet that looks most like mine is the Revis family from North Carolina. I would characterize that diet as bad because it is a lot of junk food. I don't eat that much fast food but i do eat other unhealthy food a lot. The meal i would make is italian broccoli and pasta. I would make this because it sounds like it would taste really good.
 
I think that the Manzo family of Sicily, Italy is the healthiest. I think this because they have barely any packaged or processed foods and mostly everything is fresh. There are also a variety of fruits and vegetables. The different types of breads there are is also pretty healthy and is a great source of carbohydrates, along with pasta. They also have some bottles of soda, which is not bad considering the amount. They also don't have any sugary foods other than the cereal and some fruits.

I think that the Casales family of Cuernavaca has the unhealthiest diet. If you look in the back, there about 13 bottles of soda just for a week, which is way to much sugar. They have many fruits, but most of them also high in sugar such as the bananas and mangos. As you can see, their diet is mainly around sugar, which I find to be very unhealthy.

I think that I would most likely eat the Ahmed family's(of Cairo) diet minus the meat as it is the closest to mine. Since I am a vegetarian, I eat more of vegetables, rice, breads, and fruits which there seems to be a lot of in this family's diet.

I would categorize this diet as pretty good. They have a lot of vegetables and a variety too. Although there are barely any fruits there, you have to consider their geographic location and it's not the ideal place to grow fruits. They also have their carbs from the breads, and meats. Based on this, I think that their diet is pretty healthy and balanced.

(For some reason the link won't work at the moment. I'll write my meal on another blog entry later)
 
The family that seems to have the healthiest diet habits in my opinion would be the casales family in Cuernavaca. They had quite a lot of fruits and veggies with some grain and a stack of soda.

The least healthy looking diet would seem to be the The Revis family of North Carolina. The main things that I see wrong here are the inbalances. I am seeing a big portion of fast food in their diet, like KFc, McDonalds, Burger King. The nachos look very unhealthy also. There is a stack of chips, which probably should be distributed one pack a week.

If I were to choose a family's lifestyle of food choice would be The Manzo family of Sicily. Their food looks really balance at the same time looks good to eat. This diet looks pretty good as a diet for me. I think it is good since it fits in with my regular lifestyle. This diet combined with regular exercise would probably be much better.

Using the link I found a baked chicken nuggets meal for 96 cents per serving. The recipe is pretty much chicken with various seasonings and crumbs added. The reason I chose this meal is because I'm used to eating chicken a lot in my family and this would be adequate for the diet. The calories appear to be low a link to the recipe is here.
 
I think that the healthiest family is the Batsuuri family of Ulaanbaatar because it has the major foods that people need and it has a haelthy amount. I think that the least healthy is the American families because slthough they have enough money to have enough healthy food, they spend most of it on non-heath food. The Al Haggan family of Kuwait City seems like what I eat at home because i has mostly good food with a small bit of non-healthy food. Foods that follow the national health triangle would be good and too much junk food and fat is bad food.

For my one healthy dinner meal, I would have one serving of the recipe that is called "Any days a Picnic Chicken Salad. I would chose this because it has meat, lots of vegitables, and a small amount of fat.
 
The family that seems to have the healthiest diet would be the Manzo family of Sicily because they seem to consume much more grain, which experts recommend to have 6-8 servings.

The family with the least healthiest diet would be the Revis family of North Carolina. They consume way too much fast food and prepared food. There diet does not have much of a balance.

The family that has the most similiar diet would be the Al Haggan family of Kuwait City. They seem to have a balance between organic food and prepared/fast food. This is a similar balance that my own family's diet is like.

I would characterize that diet as "fine". It's not necessarily a good diet, but it isn't the worst diet either. So I think the diet is just ok.

I would make corn bread. It costs $0.91. The corn bread would satisfy my need for carbohydrates. The corn bread also has many other nutrients like protein and calcium.
 
Mr. Johnson, the link for the Department of Agriculture won't work on my computer. I tried typing in the address but ti didn't work...should I just leave it?
 
The family with the healthiest diet appears to be Dong family. They have many vegetables and they have a wide selection of meat and fish for protein. I didn't see alot of overly processed pre-packaged foods. The Revis family appeared to be least healthy. They chips, soda, and they have take-out food. That is too much fat for one family. There was too much junk food overruling healthy food. The diet that looks like what I might eat would most likely be the Caven family. I see some food that is appealing to my sight. I would say that this diet is "bad." Junk food is bad for you, but you have to admit that it tastes good. They did have little vegetables, and I do eat more vegetables than they do. From the US Department Agriculture website, I chose the anytime pizza because I love pizza. It includes healthy vegetables and other things to spice it up.
 
The fifteen familes diets had their similarities and differences. I think this is because of their location and economic situation.

I believe that the Dong family had the healthiest diet. It seemed to be very balanced and had all the essentials.

The least healthy diet seemed to be the Aboubaker family. It seemed depleted of many essnetials. For one, there is no dairy products; which could leads to a low amount of calcium. It also seems the diet with the least amount of food. They also spend a small amount of money on their food.

I think that the diet that has the most similarities to my own is the Dong families. It is high in fruits and vegetables; just like mine. It also has a variety of food; similar to my own.

One of the meals i liked from the Us Deparatment of Agriculture website was the baked tofu. It consisted of tofu, garlic, soy sauce, vegetable oil and ginger. It looks like I would like it and is only 2.13 cents per recipe
 
After viewing all the families' diets, I think the healthiest was the Manzo family from Italy. They didn't have any fast food on their table, like McDonalds or Burger King, like a lot of the other families did. That alone makes their diet a little bit healthier. They have a lot fruits and vegetables on their table. They have a lot of bread, which I don't think is unhealthy. They also have big water jugs.

The least healthy diet I see is the Aboubakar from Chad. They do not have enough food for their family of six for it to be nearly healthy. It looks like they have some grain and maybe beans. Thet is not what I would consider healthy for their family.

The Caven family from California is the most similar to my family's diet. We eat a lot of meat like them, (we eat meat every night). We have a variety of healthy snacks and some frozen things like pizza. We eat more fruits and vegetables than them, though. I think this a good diet, but could probably be a little better. We could cut out some more unhealthy snacks and frozen dinners.

Honey lemon chicken is a meal I would cook and eat. It sounds good because it is probably sweet from the honey and tart from the lemon. I like foods like that. It is also very easy to cook and is under the $1 amount per meal in the U.S. It has a low carb amount that is good for people with diabetes. That is important in my family. It has a lot of protein, too.
 
I think that the healthiest diet would be of the Ahmed family. The reason for this is because they seem to have a pretty balanced diet when it comes to including all of the major food groups. They eat lots of vegetables and fresh food but also have a few packaged foods.

I think the least healthy meals are those eaten by the Aboubakar family and The Revis family of North Carolina. The Aboubakar family seems to eat very little, probably because of their conditions. However, what they do eat is not very healthy. Their favorite foods are soup with fresh sheep meat, which is not a balanced diet. Especially because of the arid and dry climate they live in, they probably do not receive a lot of fresh vegetables or fruits which are a key factor in a healthy diet. The Revis family, on the other hand, has enough food, but agin is not maintaining a healthy diet. Excessive fats, sugars, and processed food can not compensate for the rest of the Major food Groups.

My family’s diet is most related to the diet of The Ahmed family of Cairo. We eat many vegetables which are cooked and uncooked, fruits, rice, some bread, and a small amount of packaged foods. Like the Ahmed family, my family also eats the okra vegetable. I think this is a good and well balanced diet as I have stated before.

From the U.S. Agriculture site, I found a healthy meal that I could prepare and eat that costs less than $1. The cost per recipe of a Cucumber Salad is $.81, and cost per serving is $ 0.41. I chose this meal because it is not fatty, and it contains many vegetables and yogurt. The recipe on the site is for 2 servings. Also, this would be very simple to prepare (doesn’t involve cooking) and is made in thirty minutes or less.
 
I think that the Ahmed family of Cairo has the healthiest diet. They eat meats and mostly a variety of vegetables and fruits as well as grains. Even though there are some prepackaged or processed foods seen, they are eaten in moderation because, as you can see, there are twelve people in the family.
Of all the families, I think that the families in the North Carolina (United States) or Chad have the least healthy diets. The Revises family in North Carolina eats a lot of processed foods and (seemingly) not that many whole foods, fruits, and vegetables. The Aboubakar family in Chad not necessarily has unhealthy food, but an overall unhealthy diet because of their limitation in the variety of food availible. Their rations (they are at the Breidjing Refugee Camp are limited to corn-soy blends, un-milled sorghum, little dried meat, seeds (peas, lentils, chickpeas), and dried vegetables. This diet doesn’t provide enough fresh food with vitamins.
Although my family eats a variety of foods, our diet is mostly like the Dong family’s (Beijing, China) because we eat rice (which is a main part of most Asian’s diets), meats, dairy, a variety of vegetables and fruits as well as most of the things that the Dong family includes in their diet. I would characterize these diets as ‘okay’ because even though there are many healthful foods eaten, there are still processed foods and simple sugars eaten.
I would most likely choose the baked chicken with vegetables for a dinner meal that meets the $1 each meal criteria of the US food stamp program because it sounds good and it costs $0.93 for one serving and provides a lot of calcium, vitamin A and vitamin C.
 
Out of the numerous families that were listed, it was a tough decision to choose the healthiest and the unhealthiest of them all. What does having a healthy diet really mean? Does it mean having a diet that is nutritionally balanced? Probably. If so, does being poor enough that you can’t afford a complete diet deem that diet unhealthy? I don’t believe that some of these families, such as the Aboubakar family of Breidjing Camp and the Ayme family of Tingo, have unhealthy diets. Most people say that these families have unhealthy diets, but are they really talking about the diet, or their entire lifestyle? The photos that TIME show focuses your attention to the quantities of food more than the quality. People tend to assume that living in rural regions means you’re poor and have an unhealthy diet. The Aboubakar family of Breidjing Camp eats goat meat, peas, onions, beans, grain, and fish. Sure, they have limited amounts of food to feed the family, but the diet itself is reasonable to survive.

I believe the Revises of North Carolina have the unhealthiest diet. Sure the food allows them to survive, but there is barely any balance in their food. Most of the food they have is processed. In the photo, you can hardly notice vegetables and fruits. The things that stand out the most are the chips, soda, and other numerous junk foods. You can see McDonalds, Burger King, and KFC food on the table. For around 350 dollars, it’s truly a waste of money to be spending on unnecessary items.

For the same amount of money per week, the Dong family in Beijing, I believe, has the healthiest diet. You can see equal proportions of fruits, vegetables, and meat on the table. There’s also grain and some dairy products. Their junk food and desserts are in moderation. The diet of the Dong family in Beijing resembles my diet the most. My family and I eat a lot of rice imported from China, along with a variety of meat and vegetables. We usually have some sort of melon, and some fruit in our refrigerator. My diet deviates from the Dong family’s diet in the fast food category. We don’t drink soda or go to KFC or other fast-food chain. I think that my diet is “good”. I typically eat a balanced meal every day. If I slack off a food group, my mom would usually tell me to eat it, so in the end I eat a ration of it.

Using the U.S Department of Agriculture site, I would bake the Leafy Tofu, which costs under $1.00 per serving. This dish has tofu, spinach, soy sauce, and sesame seeds. There is good nutrition in it, as there is very little saturated fat. I would bake this because my mom cooks this for dinner sometimes. (Of course it wasn’t under a dollar; the recipe was adjusted.)
 
1.The family that looks the healthiest to me is the the one in the first row second one down. it has a huge variety and it has fruits and vegtebles which makes it even more healthy.

2.the one that looks the least healthy is the one in the last row second one down. it has not that much of variety.

3.the one that looks like the one that i would eat is the first one in the first row because it looks really delicoius and there s a large variety of the food so there is more for 1 person to eat.

4.it looks like a healthy diet because it has more than one type of food. that means there are many vitamins in the meals.

5.i found anytime pizza. since i already like pizza, and this is really cheap so it must still taste really good.
 
the healthiest family is the The Dong family of Beijing. even though they have some junk food its very limited. they have a great balance of whole grain and vegetables, and meat. they are a great exaple of the food pyramid.the leat healthiest is the The Revis family of North Carolina they just have junk food every were. they don't have enough varity and balance. i would have to say i'm a mixture of the The Revis family and the Dong family because i get alot of dunk food although my mom cooks every day and i eat what my mom likes to call real food. sometimes my food choose peronaly is not the healthiest but my family keeps me in line and feeds me good food. using the US Department of Agriculture link my meals includes bread, two eggs, bean sprouts, garlic, watercress. this was a cheap meal. although i would never eat this like all day.
 
The family's diet that looks the healthiest is the Al Haggan family of Kuwait City. This is not just for the vegetables and the fruit but I believed it had the best selection of food. This way they could get all the nutrients that are needed.
The family's diet that looks the least healthy seems to be the Revis Family of North Carolina. In their picture I see limited vegetables and mostly "junk foods." They aren't gaining many positive nutrients at all.
The Revis family looks most like mine not because of the "junk foods" but the amount of food that looked to come from fast food places. I myself have many vegetables and fruits a day but I have my share of fast food too. This diet can be characterized by good or bad by how far you take it. If you have "junk foods" and thats all it would be characterized as bad. If you get your share of fruits and vegetables it could be good.
A healthy dinner meal I would make would be baked chicken with vegetables. It costs only 93 cents and you will get all the nutrients you need, protein from the chicken and carbohydrates from the vegetables. It is also quick and easy to make.
 
After seeing the 16 families diets I think the Ahmed family of Cairo, Egypt ate the healthiest. they had a large assortment of vegetables, fruit and little processed food and only 3 bottles of soda for 12 people. They eat lean red meat and lots of grain.

I thought out of the 16 families The Revis family of North Carolina, U.S. A. was the least healthy family. they eat tons of fast food and processed food. there about 17 sugar packed drinks. The only fruit they eat is two bushels of grapes and two tomatoes. i also think the Aboubakar family of Breidjing Camp,Chad has an unhealthy diet also. They have almost no protein, they eat only grain with minimal amount of fruit and they all share one bottle of water.


I think my families diet is most similar to the Al Haggan family of Kuwait City, Kuwait. they eat a lot of fruits and vegetables like my family. we don't eat as much boxed food as they do but we do eat more meat. I wouldn't classify our diet as good or bad, it is ok. there are processed food but also healthy fruit and vegetables. both the Al Haggan family and my own family drink lots of water which is very good.

i would make the baked chicken and vegetables. it is a great way to get baked chicken and vegetables with minimum work. all together it costs $0.93 and it has 190 calories, 13 grams carbohydrates, 5 grams fiber, and 26 grams protein. it is a well rounded healthy baked chicken dinner.
 
good morning!
:)
hj
 
Bhutan eats the healthiest because it has the least processed foods, but a good amount of higher quality food to keep them healthy. The family from North Carolina is the least healthy because they have the most processed food, and the least amount of fresh foods. My families diet is closest to Italian family minus the fish sticks. It’s not the best diet but it is definitely better then most in America. We should be eating more whole fresh foods and grains, but at least we are not eating as many processed foods. Black bean and rice burritos is a good recipe, that has a lot of healthy ingredients and is appealing.
 
The Ahmed family of Cairo has the healthiest diet. Although, they spend very little for food, and the proportions may be small, the food displayed does not include many packaged, processed foods. There are many unpackaged, “whole” foods such as fruits and vegetables. My second choice for healthiest diet would have been either the Dong family or the Manzo family. I chose to make them second due to their lack of meat, or too many vegetables compared to grains, though admittedly, the Ahmed family does not appear to have a lot of grains.

The Aboubakar family of Breidjing Camp possesses, for obvious reasons, the worst diet. They spend unimaginably low amounts of money and receive little food in return. Also, there appears to be little or no, fruit, vegetables, and meat due to their relative cost compared to grains, which this family posseses in excess amounts.

The Al Haggan family’s diet bears the most resemblance to my own. This is because my family eats many eggs during the course of a week. We also eat many vegetables and fruits, along with some packaged foods. I would characterize this diet as relatively good, with room for improvement, due to a good amount of foods form each section of the food pyramid along with a large presence of packaged - and some high-calorie snack - foods.

I choose the Quick Chicken and Vegetable Soup meal. It costs 77 cents for a single serving vegetables such as onions, tomatoes, and frozen, as opposed to canned, mixed vegetables, as well as chicken.

Quick Chicken and Vegetable Soup
 
After inspecting all sixteen of the family diets, I observed many intresting situations, Regional and economical differences in the households seemed to affect the amounts and types of foods present. For example, I think that the American household is stocked with a huge variety if processed foods, yet the household of poorer foreign villages consumed minimal grain and occasional fruit. I think that the villages of Chad, like The Aboubakar family of Breidjing Camp, they don't have alot of food, like grains, fruits, fish, and even water.

I think that the Ahmeds', their Egyptian family seemed to surpass the rest with their hearty supply of green vegetables, fruits, and lean meats. Their favorite dish was okra with mutton. Their diet did not include processed food or sugary drinks. A small amount of carbohydrates was consumed by this family. In addition, all of the family members seemed to be more physically fit than the other families exhibited.

I think that The Revis family of North Carolina is least healthiest is because they have alot of processed foods, fatty foods, big calorie foods, and alot of oily and waxy foods or the Aboubakar family of the Breidjing camp (who only had a minimal amount of grain to eat). Since both groups of people were in totally different situations and they were both bereft of healthy food, I chose both of them. Although they were diverse in that one had too much to eat and the other didn't have enough to adequately sustain themselves, both lifestyles were unhealthy.

As for the least healthy diet out of all the families listed, I had trouble deciding between the Revis family of North Carolina (who ate an excess of fattening processed foods) or the Aboubakar family of the Breidjing camp (who only had a minimal amount of grain to eat). Since both groups of people were in totally different situations and they were both bereft of healthy food, I chose both of them. Although they were diverse in that one had too much to eat and the other didn't have enough to adequately sustain themselves, both lifestyles were unhealthy.

I think that the most similar diet to my family would be the diet of the Dong family in Beijing. Like most Asian families (including my own), they drink a lot of water, eat a substantial amount of fruits, vegetables, rice, and meat, and some processed snacks. I think that the Dong’s diet is moderately healthy, even though they do eat some unhealthy foods. I believe that fattening foods are fine to consume in moderation.

Using the US Department of Agriculture link, I found a scrambled tofu meal that consisted of tofu, eggs, salt, pepper, bean sprouts, garlic, watercress, mushrooms, cheese, butter, bell peppers, and green onions. I love all of the ingredients listed, but would leave out the cheese and butter because of their lack of authenticity to Asian culture. It is an inexpensive but satisfying meal.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?