18 January 2009

 
Opinions and Links Period 8
Comments:
1)If I were a test subject for my parents at this age, I would feel totally used for their intent, so I would go against it with all my will. But being a baby is another story, you can't do anything about it.

2) This practice is unethical in my mind. People can claim its for the advancement of science, but its only right if you got consent from the people being used.

3)The results can be valid. The reason why that is, is that if enough people test this way there would be a wide range of results, thus testing a hypothesis. If this was only practiced in a limited amount than the experiment would not be legitimate due to lack of tests.

4) It is a invasion of privacy, especially in baby Darius's case, since he has no choice.
 
1.) I wouldn't mind helping my parents out with their "experiments." I see it as a way to bring more knowledge into this field of science. We wouldn't know anything until we tried it first. I think I would also feel more comfortable with my parents testing me instead of a strange doctor. As long as I wouldn't be put under any harm, I'm totally fine with this.

2.) I think that this practice is ethical. What these parents are doing is just trying to see how their children view their surroundings and how they grow up. I don't see any wrong in this as long as no harm come to any of the children.

3.) I think that the test results to these experiments have a more possibility to be valid. I think this because children are known to be more open with people that they care about and trust, for example their parents. It would be more efficient and accurate this way.

4.) Although I believe that this method is useful and totally ethical, I must say that it is an invasion of privacy. When children are young, they speak their mind usually and don't realize what they are saying half the time. nd for even their parents to be digging inside their brain for more data ir wrong. The parents should know their limits and what questions not to ask. When these children grow up and find out about what they said when they were young, they will probably feel shocked and possibly hurt from that fact that their parents tried to study their behavior and learn more about their psychology.
 
1. I would feel as if I were being well, stalked. It is not fair to have a child only for the depenced of learing something from it. It is not fair to the child. And for what purpose? Honestly to study a child for science is not fair. It is something that the child, should have a say in.

2. I do not think this practice is ethical. Each individual has their set of rights. They should be able to decide whether their lives should be invaded and watched. It is morally wrong to stalk someone without their consent, especially your own child! It is all about what the "science" if you may call them, feels necessary. After watching the video, it seems almost that they are not actually in the lives of their children to help them grow and for moral support, but they are only studying for other sources.

3. I honestly think they can be sourceful but on the other hand, other children can react to the studies in different ways. Half the children can react to a certain video games one way and hald can react another way. Therefore leaving the science industry with nothing, but invasion.

4. I ABSOLUTLEY THINK ITS AN INVASION OF PRIVACY! THere are cameras all over the house, in every room. Watching every moment of the lives of not only the children but the entire family. I think that is not fair to the rest of the family if one of them wants to study their child. The whole family goes into a science project.
 
1)If I was the subject for my parent's experimentation, I would feel I was being used. I would also feel my privacy was violated.

2)I don't think it's ethical because it is risking a child's health and future life. It also lacks consent from the children.

3)The data can or cannot be valid depending on many factors. Depending on the experiment, the level of honesty the kid displays, and the amount of kids being experimented with. These and many other factors affect the validness of the experiment.

4)I definately think this is an invasion of privacy. Without the children's consent, they should not be required to participate in any experiments.
 
1. I would totally hate spending time with my parents.They would make me feel as if I could not trust them.I think I would feel not at home talking to them.
2. This practice is totally unethical.The people being used no matter if they are minors should decide whether they want to be in the study or not.I understand that a new born baby would not understand, in which case all you can do is video tape, and if they decide when they are older they want the tapes gone so be it.
3. No I do not think that the results of these experiments are ethical because a child should have a loving relationship with his/her parents not scientific examination.
4. It is and always will be an invasion of privacy.
 
1. If I was the subject for my parents science experiment I would feel that they were invading my privacy. Also I would feel that I couldn't tell them things because it might end up in the experiment.
2. I don't think this practice is ethical because it could cause the child to have future problems and it could make them feel that they couldn't trust their parents.
3. I don't think the results of these experiments are valid because the parent could be bias because it is their child. Also the child may not be truthful or cooperative during the experiment.
4. I do think it is an invasion of privacy.
 
1.if i was the subject for a science experiment of my parents i would try to make them stop but if they dont stop i will feel violated and angry.

2.using people to experiment is unethical. i should be the person getting experimented on's choice whether or not to be experimented on.

3.the information is valid to my opinion even though everyone is different and has different feelings toward this experiment.

4.this experiment is a complete invasion of privacy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
If my parents used me as their subject for a scientific experiment I would, at this age not appreciate what they are doing. However if I was young and couldn't voice my opinions I wouldn't really care. Ethical? Possibly in some sense. Parents would give their children weird impressions of them. Work and home have a clear distinction. It is a little bit of an invasion of space and opinion. This kids didn't get a say in their fate. They should have at least that much. I don't believe the results are vslid because parents and their kids have too strong a bond to have experiments done between them. Parents may push their kids into the results that they want to see. Finally, this is definitely an invasion of privacy.
 
1. At my age, I'd be pretty upset if I were part of my parents experiments. But if I were a baby, I wouldn't really care because theres nothing you can do and its not even a big deal to me.
2. I think its ethical because the experiments need to be done anyway so if they don't use their kid than someone else will volunteer their kid for the right price.
3. I think the results are valid because the baby doesn't know what it is anyway so they aren't going to act different than normal.
4. For a baby, no, it is not an invasion of their privacy because what do babies do that they need privacy, I mean people change their dipers and you often see babies going around with only dipers on so don't be rediculous.
 
1. I would not like to be the focus of my parents' science experiment. I would feel uncomfortable especially if they were "wathcing my every move". Although this may be unlikely, at some point, I would also question if my existence in their opinion is more useful for a little science project.
2. I don not think this practice is ethical. This is because I highly disagree with the policy of "Parents made your life, so they can destroy it as well". I think that once there is a life, it deserves all of the human rights. ALthough your parents have certain control over you, it is not ethical to put them into uncomfortable situations or force them to be the focus of your study. This is also an invasion of privacy.
3. If the test was only used on your child, and no one else, the results may be invalid, especially when working with a physochological or behavioural experiment. However if the parents run tests on other people who they do not have any relationship with, then the data can be averaged out.
4. I think this practice is definetley an invasion of privacy. Children should have certain rights when clearly they should have the choice of whether they want/don't want to be studied or observed.
 
1) If i were a test subject for my mother's science experiment, i would feel like my privacy was taken away from me completely. People should have the CHOICE to determine whether or not they should participate, they shouldn't be forced to .. due to their parents jobs.

2) In my opinion, this practice is entirely unethical. There is a reason you need a consent from someone orif someone is not of the legal age, someone's parents to use them as a test subject. They have to want to agree, and want to be apart of it in order to sign. If you don't have someones consent, .. you shouldn't be allowed to use them in your expirement, point blank.

3)I think the results can be vary .. therefore not giving "credible" data. Some kids could react one way to something, and other act entirely different.

4)This is totally an invasion of privacy. i'm sorry, but for science or not for science, i don't think i should be videotaped, especially in the safety of my own home. I would feel as if my every move was watched. Also my relationship with my mom .. would be entirely different. She would know everything, and she wouldn't necessarily need trust.. cus' shed had her videos to look back too. No. i'm sorry, thats ridiculous.
 
1. If I was the subjest for my parents' science experiment, I would feel totlly violated because I was made to do things against my will.

2. I don't think that this practice is ethical because these people are being used without their permission for peojects that could change them in some ways.

3. I am not sure if I believe that the results of these experiments are valid scientific data because because I don't really understand how some of these experiments could prove anything.

4. I definately think that it is an invasion of privacy because it gives them no time to be unmonitored.
 
1. If I was the subject to one of my parent's science experiments I probably would feel like I didn't have any privacy. I would feel more used then loved and overall, I don't think I would enjoy being a science experiment.

2. I don't think using your children as science experiments is ethical because if they wanted to be a test subject then they would ask to be a test subject. If they don't want to be tested all their lives then I don't think they should.

3. Yes, I think the results would be considered as valid scientific data. After all, it is real results that they are receiving even though they don't really have the consent of the people they are testing.

4. Yes, I think this is a HUGE invasion of privacy. I feel really bad for these people and I think these scientist should ashamed for doing this. This could probably pass as against the law, due to invasion of privacy laws also.
 
If I were a test subject for my parents' experiments, I would feel violated depending on the type of the experiment. I think that people are better off experimenting on others that they do not know well. I do not think that this practice is ethical, nor do I think that the results would be valid. This is because it would add stress to the children and they might act a certain way or do certain things just to make their parents thingk that they got valid information and stop doing the study. I think that these experiments are a complete invasion of privacy.
 
If i were a subject to my parents "science experiement" I would not be pleased. Not only is it an invasion of privacy, i would feel unloved in a sort of way. Like maybe my parents only had me to so I could be a test for their experiment, not so they would have a baby to love and adore.

This practice is unethical in my opinion. A child should not be born into the world to be a test subject. Even as a minor, everyone has a set of rights.

I do not think that the results of these experiments are valid scientific data. Each individual grows and matures different. The results of how your child grows could be extremely different from how another child grows and learns.

I feel it is an invasion of privacy. Like the child claims in the first video, when he was young he enjoyed the experiement because it meant spending time with his mother. Little did he know that she only asked the questions to further her knowledge.
 
1) I would feel wierd being my parents' test subject. As a baby I would probably not remember any of it. Having a video camrea tape what ever you look at is a little odd. If my parents did that, it might be interesting to watch when I am older so I also remember what I was looking at. It is still a little odd.

2) This is an ethical practice. If you want to know what a baby looks at, what better way then to actually see what a real baby looks at. You may get a "feel" as to what amuses babies. What do they look at when they are laughing.

3) The results may be valid data. Different babies will look at different things but, they may all share one common response to a situation. Like crying when they are hungry or are tired. Finding the average response or what ever you want to conclude will be easier with many babies.

4)I really do think that it is an invasion of privacy. As a baby, you really don't have a choice but, as you get older you should be able to get a say in what you want. Everybody needs at least some privacy!
 
If I were the subject of my parents "Science experiment" I would be only mad if it was hurting my personal privacy. It could be annoying if it invaded my personal space though.
This practice can be ethical but I believe it is up to the persons opinion. If you can not form your opinion then I believe the practice is not ethical. I think it is rude for the parents to do this to kids who cannot form their own opinions.
I believe it is valid scientific data but I am not happy with the way it is retrieved. These children dont have a choice wether they can be involved in these experiments or not.
I definitely think it is an invasion of privacy. Most kids that have the ability to communicate to their parents would not want to be involved in their experiments. This leaves younger children at a disadvantage. In my opinion this is an invasion of privacy and should be stopped now.
 
If my parents used me for a ‘science experiment’, I don’t think I would be able to trust them that well, especially if the ‘experiment’ took place when I was younger and didn’t have the courage to speak up and say no. Depending on what kind of research I ended up participating in, my trust in my parents would end up varying because I believe that everyone should have a say in what in they do, especially if it means less/more privacy. If I forgave them, which I mostly likely would have, there would always be the doubt or nagging thought that they used me for something that I didn’t have a say in at all.

I think the practice is not ethical because the children involved are minors and therefore, the parents who are holding the research/experiment would have no problem signing consent forms even though the child may or may not want to participate in the research.

Depending on the type of the experiment, the data may or may not be valid. If the research is something like the camera recording, then the data would be valid, because the parents/scientists would have little impact on the data. On the other hand, if the research was questioning, then the data would not be valid because the person who answers the questions could decide not to answer truthfully and answer what they think their parent would want to hear.

Finally, I think that the practice is an invasion of privacy, especially the research with the cameras in every room. It not only limits the family’s privacy, but it limits their guest’s privacy as well. Not every who visits their friend’s house wants to be recorded for the whole time there.
 
1. At my current age, i wouldnt like being a test subject for my parents expirement. However, when i was alot younger, i wouldnt have any power to protest and would be forced to agree with it

2. I think that this practice is ehtical to a certain degree. The needs of many outweigh the needs of one, and results yielded from these expirements could lead to advances.
3. The results can be valid. It can show how children react to certain situations. I also believe that these results could have a greater validity.
4. I do not think it is an invasion of privacy up to a certain age, and as along as the child doesn't say no to it.
 
1) If I were a test subject for my parents at the age that I am, I would think it would be very annoying because they would be tracking and following my every move. In addition, I think that using your children for science experiments is should be against the law because they only reason, really that you are alive is because of science experimentation.

2) I do not think this practice is ethical. Each individual has their set of rights. They should be able to decide whether their lives should be invaded and watched.

3) I think that the results will be valid. I think that because, when you are a baby, you experiment the world around you because that is the way that you learn.

4) It is and always will be an invasion of privacy.
 
1. If I were the test subject for my parents I would not like it. When i learned ab out it when I was older I would be embarrassed.

2. I do not think this practice is ethical. It is invading a person's personal bubble.

3. I do not think these results are valid. When you know the person you are testing, you can be bias.

4. I think it is an invasion of privacy. You shouldn't have people knowing where you are all the time without your permission.
 
I have mixed opinions of whether this practice is ethical. A scientist needs to put distance between him an his study. I don't know if a parent can treat their child as a guinea pig, and then love them. If they were able to do both at the same time, then the results could be biased. Like the woman in the first video, scientists could switch into their maternal mode and push their children in a certain conversation. This helps them as a parent because they are able to bond with the child, but it creates a false conclusion.

At this age, if my parents were to suddenly say "we're going to study you for the next years of your life", I'm sure I would be very bothered. It would make me feel conscious on whatever I do. I would feel pressure in always doing what my parents want me to do, whether it is right or wrong, just to please them.

In terms of health, if the child is not exposed to any danger, then the study is very "safe". The only consequence is the possibility that their relationship could be destroyed due to a violation of privacy. I think a scientist should be allowed to test their children from birth to 10. After the age 10, I believe they should have permission from their child. I don't discourage this practice because it can really benefit science, but at the same time I don't encourage it.
 
1. If my parents used me as their science experiment, my feelings would vary depending on how they were to handle the situation. If they still treated me like their family, not just a meaningless experiment, and only saved some time of the day for experimentation, I would be fine with them using me as a test subject. I would be happy to make a contribution to the future of science. On the flip side, I would feel used and angry if my parents spent their time solely experimenting on me.

2. As long as the child is not getting hurt and feels comfortable with the experimentation, I think it is an ethical test. I also think that the mother/father who is performing the experiment should file a form every month stating what exactly they did to their child and why their experiment is relevant. They should also have a certain degree in science before they start experiments as well.

3. I think that the results of these studies are valid scientific data because they are being used for the common good of others. As long as the parent knows their boundaries, the tests should be fine.

4. I think that, if handled the wrong way, these tests can be an invasion of privacy. If dealt with correctly, however, these studies can prove beneficial and worth the effort.
 
1) If I was the subject for my parents' "science experiment" I would probably feel kind of used. But it depends on what the experiment was. If my parents set up cameras all around our house, I would feel really violated and would probably try to make them get rid of them. I think that is wrong.
2) I think it can be ethical, but can also be unethical. Just observing their children without causing any harm is fine. However, their children may end up feeling completely used and like their only purpose in the eyes of their parents is for some experiment. Dr. Sinha said he couldn't wait for his son's birth so he could use him for experiments. That makes it seem like he does not care about the child and his feelings or personality.
3) I think the data is valid if the parent doesn't try to influence their child into acting a certain way. If the child is with their parent, they might be more comfortable and act naturally. This could have valid results. But if the children do not like the experiments and are old enough to control their actions, they might make the results invalid.
4) I think it is very much an invasion of privacy. If you have cameras watching every moment of your life, you have no private life. It doesn't matter if you are a baby or a teenager, it is still an invasion of privacy.
 
1. If i was the subject of a science experement I don't think i would feel violated, used, or like a gineua pig. Granted it depends on the experement if it was something like what I looked at as a baby I would't care but if it was like psychally or emotionally disturbing I would care.

2. I think it is ethical. If the parents think it is ethical then i trust them. A parent wouldn't put their chid in danger diliberately.

3. I think the data would be valid if it was treated like an experement, controlled, and closely monitored.

4. I don't think it is an invasion on privacy. Babies are changed and run around in diapers in front of everyone and naked baby pictures are shared with family and friends so they really don't have any privacy to begin with.
 
well personally i don't like the idea of child experiments. i know that they are necessary to improve the lives of children. the research done can help future generation. i think if you just do experiments that don't harm or make the child unforgeable then its ethical. if you hurt the child in any way then it's is unethical. I'm pretty sure the data acuquired will be valid scientific data. If you know were or how a baby thinks or sees things it could improve parenting and improve a baby experience. i don't think it is an invasion of privacy as long as its your baby and besides most likely the baby doesn't even know whats going on.
 
If I were to be part of my parents “science project” I would be very annoyed, it is a complete invasion of privacy . This is very unethical because there is no one drawing a line at what safe for the children and not. The results of the study would not be valid, especially with older children because they are going to act differently if their parents are watching their every move. With younger kids the data collected would be more accurate. These experiments are an invasion of privacy especially younger kids who have no say and don’t understand what is happening.
 
1. I honestly don’t think I would like being used in an experiment at all. I think I would feel like I was being used. I think I would feel like my parents were always watching me. I think that would affect how I act.
2. I don’t think this practice is very ethical. The children wouldn’t have a choice as to whether or not they want to participate. Their parents would make the choice for them since they are minors.
3. I do not think the results are valid scientific data. Kids can change the way they act, who is to say they won’t act differently because of the experiment?
4. I believe it is an invasion of privacy if the person doesn’t consent. If they want to participate, then it isn’t an invasion. However, if they are being forced against their wishes and their parents are choosing, then it is definitely an invasion of privacy. It depends on what the child or teen wants to do.
 
If I were a test subject for my parents, I probably wouldn't mind as long as it wasn't anything ridiculous.
I think the ethics all depend on the situation. I don't think it's right to use your babies which can't choose. However, if you ask a child who can think for themselves and they agree to be used for the experiment, then it's okay.
I think the data is completely valid. The subjects apply just fine, and as long as the experiment was carried out properly, the results should be accurate.
I think it can be an invasion of privacy if done to children without a choice.
 
1. I would not feel anger towards my parents for conducting an experiment monitoring my behavior. Yet, I would feel uncomfortable knowing that they are observing my behavior continuously and I would become paranoid, thinking that I was monitored everywhere. I really would not want my parents to conduct an experiment such as this.
2. I think that this practice is nearly borderline ethical, yet the fact that it is harmless and well-intentioned leads me to believe that it is an acceptable practice.
3. I think that the results are 100% valid. Behavior monitoring experiments done over long periods of time, especially on unknowing subjects should yield much interesting data. However, the discoveries will only apply to that one type of child and should not be applied to others who may be genetically different in terms of severe disease, mental illness, or other disability.
4. I believe that, by definition, it is an invasion of privacy - to put one under constant surveillance without consent, especially at the younger ages. Although this is only a mild case of privacy invasion which I feel is within the authority of a parent.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?