04 January 2009
Postings and Links Period 8
Comments:
<< Home
I think that Ronald should plant corn that is not genetically modified. I think that he should care about the affects of growing genetically modified products. They can harm the Earth, which should not be something anyone should do. People can have health effects from these products as well. They can cause neurological problems, can cause a variety of cancers, and they can disrupt hormone functions. I he just planted corn with nothing added or changed, he may not make a lot of extra money, but he might be able to plant things, or his kids plant things years from now.
Support
Refute
Support
Refute
I think that Ronald should plant non- genetically modified corn. Genetically modified corn can be harmful to the environment because it allows people to use more dangerous pesticides. So, genetically modifying foods is basically altering them so that we can alter them some more with harmful chemicals. He has been living off regular corn his whole life, so he will be fine staying with that. Genetically modified foods can be harmful to humans, so when we harm humans in order to harm other living things with pesticides, it is a lose- lose situation.
Support
Refute
Support
Refute
I think Ronald should plant corn that is not genetically modified. The genetically modified corn might help him with his money problems but if he used regular corn it would be better. The genetically modified corn could make people sick. Also the pestisides he sprays on it could be harmful to the enviroment. The regular corn won't help him know but in the long run it will be better for everyone.
support
Refute
support
Refute
Ronald shouldn't plant genetically modified corn for his crop. After resaerching the topic I have come to the conclusion that genetically modified foods are terribly harmful to the environment and people alike. The company that produces the GM corn has been accused of and sometimes convicted of "crimes" such as weight gain, toxic waste dumping, illegal bribes, false advertising, child labor, along with helping to cause diseases such as cancer, and liver and kidney toxicity. Although this decision may lose farmer Ron some money, there is always other means to make cash if one is willing to work. He could take a second job or cut down on some other aspects of his life in order to balance out this decline in revenue.
Support
Refute
Support
Refute
I think it is a very bad idea for Ronald to plant genetically modified corn. My first reason is, there should be no altering of our food. It is wrong, if he cannot afford it, then he should pursue elsewhere. That is what this world has come to, altering and making less of, decreasing the size of what their consumers are recieving. For example: companies who sell laundry detergent are adding more water and less soap into their containers. ( I saw it on a commercial the other day!) This is why humans are becoming sick. Altering corn is no way for success, I would not buy this corn if it was altered, no way. Never in a million years.
Support.
Refute!
Support.
Refute!
I don't think that Ronald should plant corn that is genetically modified. Although it would help him make more money, it would hurt the planet in the long run. Genetically modified foods have been proven to increase the death rate of even animals that weren't intended to be killed. There is also a growing concern that it may have bad affects on human health. The choice of not using genetically modified foods could save the lives of non-targeted animals, humans and even our planet to some extent.
Support
Refute
Support
Refute
I believe that Ronald should not plant corn that is genetically modified. It could have harmful effects in the future. Yes, the genetically modified corn will help his business but it is pretty risky to have corn that has chemicals in it. In todays world especially, the chemicals might harm the earth and the enviroment. That will contribute to global warming which is a issue today in 2009. This chemical may very well cause a new allergen. And I mean come on, "ain't nothin like the real thing baby!"
Support..
Refute..
Support..
Refute..
i think ronald should plant corn that isnt genetically modified. if he decides to use the genetically modified corn, then the worlds ecosystem might get messed up in the future. i think that he should keep on planting his regular corn because he has done it for many years, probably. by putting bacteria inside of a food people might get sick. Support
Refute
Refute
I think that Ronald should choose plant the corn that is not genetically modified. Whether he gets more money or not, he still should do the "morally correct" thing to do, and choose not to plant the genetically modified food. genetically modified food has a major effect on human health Thing such as allergens, and the transfer of antibiotic resistance markers. Also, other unknown effects. So why plant something that can be harmful to humans? i think that is just silly. Whether Ronald would make more money or not, he still should decide against planting it. It will be better for the human race and the economy in the long run.
i am aware that they are the same. i hope this is allowed :)
support
refute
i am aware that they are the same. i hope this is allowed :)
support
refute
I think Ronald should plant genetically modified corn. I think its good that he will make more profits. He should use it on and off like every few years. He should save the profits from the ones when he uses it so if there is a bad year he can use the excess profits from the good year. It could also help to end hunger. There would be more useable crops.
Support
Refute
Support
Refute
I think Ronald should not plant the genetically modified crops. Genetically modified crops may have serious implications in the future. Since the farmers will be using more pecticide, the insects will most likely adapt and be able to resist it. Another reason is that there is a possibility of gene transfer by cross breeding. If weeds get that gene, they will be herbicide tolerant as well. There is also a concern about the unknown human health factors that genetically modified crops may present in the future. For these reasons, Ronald shouldn't plant genetically modified crops.
Support
Refute
Support
Refute
I think Ronald should do the moral thing and not plant the genetically modified corn. He should care about the effects that corn could have on people and in the future. This could cause harmful effects on the Earth's environment and people's health. These genetically modified foods and pesticides have been linked to cancers, neurological problems, hormonal problems, and organ toxicity problems. These problems cost people money and even though Ronald may make a few bucks up front, he will pay in the end. Ronald should plant the regular corn or brainstorm other healthy ways to make money on his farm, such as an AMAZING MAIZE MAZE!
REFUTE!!!!!
SUPPORT!!!!
REFUTE!!!!!
SUPPORT!!!!
I think the Ronald should grow both the genetically modified and non-genetically modified corn. If he decides to use the genetically modified corn, then the worlds ecosystem might get messed up in the future. I think that he should keep on planting his regular corn because he has done it for many years, probably.
Support
Support
Support
Support
This is a tough decision for Ronald, but I believe that he should not plant the genetically-modified corn. Normally, a person in this position would plant the GMO (genetically modified organism) because of the whole “survival of the fittest”. If life is tough, then I would bet that Ronald isn’t the only farmer in trouble. If hundreds of farmers nationwide are experiencing difficulties, then this could be a major problem to the environment and the organisms living in it. Ronald and the other farmers might possibly abuse their pesticide power. The chemicals would seep into the soil, ending up in oceans, and even in bodies of people (for example, breast milk of mothers). Many medical conditions are linked with pesticides, such as autism. Pesticides could kill species like frogs, turtles, and insects. With that said, Ronald should take the initiative, and refuse to use genetically-modified corn.
SUPPORT1SUPPORT2
REFUTE1
SUPPORT1SUPPORT2
REFUTE1
I think that Ronald should plant genetically modified corn. It will give him greater profits. However, he should use it in combination with the natural corn, and grow them in seperate fields, to aviod mixups. I do not beleive that genetically altering food is immoral. It is a major weapon in the fight agaisnt world hunger, and can has much potential to decrease food prices and bring several other positive outcomes.
Support
Rebuke
Support
Rebuke
I think that Ronald should not plant the genetically modified corn. If he plants the modified corn and uses large amount of pesticide, then there is a higher possibility that pesticide would transfer into the earth. The insects that do not harm the corn, animals, as well as humans would eventually be affected. When pesticide leaks into the ground, the ground-water could carry the pesticides further than Ronald’s farm, into other farms, wells, and bodies of water and find its way into the bodies of people and animals alike. The use of pesticides has been associated with the development of certain cancers such as non-Hodgkin's lymphoma or leukemia. Also, Ronald should not plant GM corn because it places him at a higher risk of developing cancer. Genetically modified food also has a higher possibility of causing allergies.
Support
Refute
Support
Refute
Although I understand that Ronald is suffering through a time of recession, I think that he should refrain from growing a genetically modified crop of corn. I don't think it's worth any amount of money to put thousands of people's lives at stake. The long term affects of genetically modified foods are controversial; many people disagree with this method of planting. Genetically modified foods can prove itself detrimental to human and environmental health and wellness. Planting these crops might increase his income for a lifetime, but the future issues that it would cause could last for at least hundreds of years.
Support
Refute!
Support
Refute!
I think Ronald should plant the genetically modified corn. If he uses the genetically modified corn, he can grow more corn and that would give him more of a profit. It is also more likely that animals and bugs will stay off of his crops, giving him a better turn out at the end of the season. Genetically modified foods can be changed to carry vitamins, minerals, and proteins that they would not normally have, making them healthier. Genetically modified foods help people in third-world counties by increasing nutritional value. This can prevent many people from dying. These crops can also carry medicines and vaccines in parts of the world were it is to costly to store and prepare them.
Support
Refute
Support
Refute
I believe genetically modified corn is not a bad idea but it does have its negatives. The consequences over short amounts of time are not serious. I would take the risk. It seems like in his sitiuation he is in need of money. For the profit the risk is to little to not go forward with his plan. In the end genetically modified corn is a great idea.
Support
Refute
Support
Refute
I don't think that Ronald should buy the genetically modified corn. When genetically modified crops are planted, they affect other plants and organisms around them. This can harm the earth permanently for generations to come. Genetically modified organisms can't be recalled once released into the environment. They interbreed with other species, only causing more damage and harm.
SUPPORT!
REFUTE. (actually it has pros and cons)
SUPPORT!
REFUTE. (actually it has pros and cons)
Ronald should grow genetically modified corn. Doing so would greatly increase crop yield as well as bring in some badly-needed financial support. However, in order to protect his investment in corn crops and a farm, he should immediately stop use of such crops if it appears that gene alterations adversely affect organisms. Losing all of his crops to a ban because of the presence of harmful chemicals would be devastating. In addition, I wonder of Ronald has considered how the genetically modified (GM) label will affect most grocery store buyers who are under the impression that such foods are “bad” and that organic is good.
Support
Refute
Support
Refute
I think that Ronald should not plant genetically modified corn. Even if times are getting hard for him, he should keep the earth a clean and healthy environment for future generations. Since the food itself is pesticide resistant, this would allow farmers to use extra pesticides to keep their crops safe. Although this would not be safe for the earth and the amount of pollution and contamination it would add to the air. Some effects of GM (Genetically Modified) foods may also affect humams who eat it which could end up causing chaos especially in the times we're living in now.
Support
Refute
Support
Refute
I think Ronald should not use genetically modified corn. it poses many health risks and is hazardous to the environment. often times genetically modified foods contain genes for antibiotic resistance which reduce the effectiveness of antibiotics used to fight disease. Ronald could just as easily produce organic corn. it is healthy and people are willing to pay more for organic food. because people are willing to pay more for organic food his smaller organic corn crop yield would produce the same income as genetically modified corn.
REFUTE
SUPPORT
REFUTE
SUPPORT
I don’t think that the farmer should plant genetically altered crops. By genetically changing the corn, he could really affect the consumer’s health. The corn could have long term effects that harm the consumer. Genetically altering crops helps them become more resistant to pesticides. Even though it may help Ronald with finances, in the long run, it’s hurting the environment. I think it would be better to have less money and a healthy environment, than to have more money and an environment covered with harmful pesticides.
SUPPORT!
(about a 1/3 of the way down the page is the section “What are some of the criticisms against GM Foods?)
REFUTE!
SUPPORT!
(about a 1/3 of the way down the page is the section “What are some of the criticisms against GM Foods?)
REFUTE!
Ronald should NOT use genetically engineered crops. There has not been enough long term research, and his consumers would become the research. I think that genetically changing food is wrong, it’s such new technology and it holds so many risks. If Ronald decides he wants to use genetically engineered corn he needs to let his consumers be aware. Keeping them from this knowledge is extremely wrong everyone has a right to know what is going in there food. Personally I believe that Ronald should not use genetically engineered corn, because it holds to many long term risks for his consumers.
support
refutes
support
refutes
i think Ronald should plant natural plant not genetically modified ones. i think these modified plants can cause mutation and have a long term effect on some people. i think this is way some people develop cancers and other deadly sickness. natural is the way to go and if we stock to that we would have some many problems as we have today . people throwout the generation have found a ways to get rid of insects and I'm sure with all the technology they have today farmers could use an alternative method of terminating insects. support
Refute
Refute
I don't think he should use the genetically modified corn. Although humans have been changing their foods for thousands of years to get higher yields, it did not harm the environment. If he takes care of the land and uses environmently friendly farming techniques then future generations will still be able to use it. There may also be some harmful effects on humans. These crops might get resistant to the pesticides used.
Refute
Support
Refute
Support
I think that Ronald should plant natural corn as opposed to genetically modified corn. Using the method of genetically modified corn can cause harmful eaffects to our Earth. I also think the customers and conxumers would prefer fresh foods over modified ones. "Modiying" in this case would mean adding more harmful chemicals. Ronald should find
other ways to earn more money than contributing to global warming and potentially harming other people in the process.
Support
Support
other ways to earn more money than contributing to global warming and potentially harming other people in the process.
Support
Support
I think it is a very bad idea for Ronald to plant genetically modified corn. My first reason is, there should be no altering of our food. It is wrong, if he cannot afford it, then he should pursue elsewhere. That is what this world has come to, altering and making less of, decreasing the size of what their consumers are recieving. For example: companies who sell laundry detergent are adding more water and less soap into their containers. ( I saw it on a commercial the other day!) This is why humans are becoming sick. Altering corn is no way for success, I would not buy this corn if it was altered, no way. Never in a million years.
I don't think that he should grow the Genetically modified corn. Through the site I looked through It gave many facts for how it is bad. First of all, if it isn't in its genetic code to start with don't alter it for the better. Through some collected information the genetic alteration, can also stimulate other organisms to unintentionally change too. This happens mostly to insects that come in contact with pollen. If Ronald wants to plant his corn, he should do it naturally, no matter what his reason is.
Support ( The "support section for my opinion starts in the near middle of the page, look under What are some of the criticisms against GM foods?)
Refute
Support ( The "support section for my opinion starts in the near middle of the page, look under What are some of the criticisms against GM foods?)
Refute
I think that planting genetically modified corn is a poor choice. The only reason he wold plant them it to make a bigger profit for himself. However the pesticides could be bad for the health of a human, and i really worth putting lives at stake? These could cause sickness, different kinds of cance, and prevent growth. I think the economy is producing enough crops as it is .
Support
Refute
Post a Comment
Support
Refute
<< Home

