11 January 2009

 
Postings and Links Period 8
Comments:
Personally, I feel that it is highly important for Dr. Yee to inform this old man on his risks that follow his operation. Obviously every individual is for their own preservation. If the patient is going to die if he does not recieve this operation then Dr. Yee should perfom surgery. It is the patients life, and if he is going to set his goals on having heart surgery and that percentage of life and death, then so be it. It is not the doctors decision to decide if he should live or die. If the patient is willing to take his own life and obviously did not change his food habit then it is his fault and decisions. I as an individual cannot decide whether to perform surgery or not to, because I am almost sixteen and not nearly close to having my PhD.

Health or Death,
 
When you look at the scenario there is an obvious controversy that can be seen. "The doctor is always right" is a statement that I've heard a lot, but the patient wants what he wants. My personal opinion would be for the Doctor not to do the surgery. The only reason I'm looking down at the patient is because he was negligent to his prior commands. Of course the only contradicting factor to not doing the surgery, is probably that the patient might take legal action against the Doctor for not doing the surgery.

Risks of Heart surgery
( Note* The actual Risks facts are stated near the middle of the page.)
 
This predicament that Dr. Yee is in is a very difficult one and the only way of getting out is by making a choice to either let his patient die or cure him only to have him die after a couple of years. I think that Dr. Yee should refuse the surgery. I think this because it's almost like trying to save a lost cause and either way the patient is going to die. If he was younger and in better shape, then the surgery would be more useful and help him live a longer life. This decision would also help the patient more than the surgeon because he would be saving his money and not wasting it on "trying" to save his life.

My link.
 
I think that Dr.Yee should deny him the transplant. I think that the heart that would be going to this 75 year old man should go to someone who cares for their body. Someone who knows that they have heart problems and does not change the way that they eat and the amout they excersise should not be given a second chance at a heart. I know it sounds harsh, but a person who is trying to help there heart but can not should be getting that heart.

Click Here
(http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4588)
 
I think that Dr.Yee should consider the fact that the olad man has not exactly done everything i nhis power to help himself. He should use his time on patients that have used diet and excersise to help themselves and would benefit from the surgery. But, if it is an easy and quick surgery (which it probably is not if it is heart surgery) then Dr. Yee should perform it if the patient wishes. Especially if the doctor has a choice to operate on someone who has taken care of themself and this man, he should choose the healthy person. This site
 
I think the patient should choose if he wants the surgery to be done or not. I think Dr.Yee should tell the patient about the risks and problems that could occur. I think that if the patient still wants to have the surgery then he should be able to. I don't think the doctor should choose because it isn't his life at risk. I think that over all if the patient doesn't care about the risks and would rather take the chance to see if it can prolong his life then it is his choice.

Click Here
 
I think that Dr. Yee should perform the surgery. IT is a doctors job to help people, and without the surgery, this person could die. What the patient did to prevent his condition is irrevelant to the doctors choice. If every person held their health sacred, then doctors would not be as vital to society as they currently are. As long as the patient pays for the surgery, the doctor should not have the right to deny them, reguardless of condition or situation. It is the patients decision whether or not they want to throw their health away and suffer the consequeces.

Link
 
It should be known by Dr. Yee that his patient has some health issues. The patient was told that he needed to change his lifestyle for a successful surgery. I think that he should still get the heart. Everyone desirves a second chance in life. He was told to exercise but he may of not been able to due to his age of 75. The transplant might be successful and if he survives he could change his life for good. Being given a second chance in life may really change a persons' view of life.

hEaRT
 
if someone was sick and about to die, i think that the docter has the right to control if the sick person gets to have surgery. they are the proffesionals and they know what the right choice is most of the time. if the patiets get to choose if they get to live, the hospitals will be overpacked because they will had people hooked up to machines. and since the guy is old and was going to leave the earth soon, they should just let him pass away. the faimly will be sad if they pass away but a lot of other people die in the world and people know how you feel when someone dies.
Click Here for Link
 
I truly believe, after much consideration, that Dr. Yee should not perform the surgery on the patient and should turn the patient away. The said patient, being overwight and having a risk of heart diseases, clearly has made some poor choices in his past. Health aside, this man is already 75 years old, and has lived a long life; at least longer than most unlucky people. Professionally, Dr. Yee would probably not want a death after a surgery on his record. As to the patients fate after Dr. Yee should turn him away. . . there is always some doctor out there that would do this sort of surgery. Ethically the patient should decide, but professionally with all emotions aside, the doctor has the right to choose.

Scroll to Heart Disease and Stroke.
 
I believe that Dr. Yee should decide whether or not he should perform the surgery. I believe that Dr. Yee should inform the patient on all the risks involved with the surgery also. Generally, Dr. Yee has more knowledge of risks and other factors than the patient has, so he should decide for the patient whether or not the surgery would be successful or not. Hopefully, Dr. Yee would make the correct choice and the patient would be able to understand the decision.

Click Here
 
I think that doctor Yee should have to do the surgey. Although the man is old and out of shape and the surgery might fail, everyone should be able to recieve the surgery. If he doesn;t do the surgery, than the man would die anyway so he might as well try. Also, if doctors can chose who to operate on, than some patients might never be able to get their surgery which isn't fair. The doctor became a doctor to help people so he should have to help all people and not just chose which ones he thinks he can save.

link
 
I think Dr. Yee should not perform the surgery. Due to the risks of this man, I wouldn't want his blood on my hands. Also, the amount of people who sue for that sort of stuff is rediculous. It would cost him a lot if the man died and the family sued. I would only do it if I got the family to sign a writen document forbidding any sort of legal action if the outcome is fatal.
Risky Surgery
 
This situation in itself is quite a sticky one if you ask me. But, i believe that Dr. Yee should do the surgery. Yes, the patient should of modified his diet, and taken precautions especially if he knew he was at risk .. but, we live far from a perfect world, and not everyone does what they should, or are "suppose to" half the people in this world feel as if they are invisible, and well, we get predicaments like this. Although the patient didn't do what he should of, he is still a human being who deserves life. we all make silly mistakes. Dr. yee should sit and explain all of the risks of having the surgery, and if the patient still agrees, Dr. Yee should be totally PRO- doing the surgery, .. he should want to do anything he can, whether its a risk or not to save this mans life, or at least allow him to live a little longer.

lalalalalaaa
 
I think that Dr. Yee should reject the patient's request for a surjery. I do not understand why the patient did not listen to the doctor's suggestions in the first place, and makjing his conditions even worse. The patient is putting too much pressure on the doctor, since ( with the givin information about the paien's current status) there is a slim chance of the patient's surgery to be benificial. Also considering his old age with his health problems, the surjery doesn't seem to be very productive. Also, if the surgery wasn't benificial, the doctor may be affected by his decisions reputation wise. Also, the patient would be saving a lot of money with not going through with the surjery.



Helping Heart Diseases-Naturally!
 
sorry i don't think the link worked.
Helping Heart Diseases-Naturally!
 
Okay, the link is still not working for some reason. Here's the URL: http://ezinearticles.com/?Helping-Heart-Disease-Naturally&id=1047319
 
This quandary that Dr. Yee is in is really troubling. In my opinion, I think Dr. Yee should do the surgery. This dying 75 year old man is still his patient, and a doctor should always do whatever it takes to allow the patient to live. If Dr. Yee refused to perform the surgery, then all of the burden will be on the patient; the patient will regret the past few years because he didn’t do what the doctor recommended. This man is an elder and giving up on him is basically telling him that his life is over. Dr. Yee should carry out the operation because he is the man’s last resort, and he should do it regardless on how it would affect his reputation.

Heart surgery
 
During the Reagan administration, when aircraft controllers went on strike, they were fired by the president for endangering the lives of civilians. Although this situation is extreme, the same situation roughly applies to doctors, in my opinion. A doctor should possess the right to refuse a patient treatment should he deem him/her highly likely have adverse affects to the treatment, less worthy of treatment compared to others, or too large a drain on valuable resources (financially, esp. in the case of organs). However, doctors have an obligation to their patients to make the patient’s life their sole priority and do all that is possible to preserve that life. After assuming that the 75 year old patient would pay the doctor sufficiently and that Dr. Yee was indeed capable of performing the surgery, the choice became clear. Dr. Yee should perform the surgery regardless of the patient’s bad health and lack of effort to lower his risk of heart complications.

Can Doctors Refuse to Provide Care?
 
I think Dr.Yee should do the surgery. Life is a precious thing. This situation might make the man change his habits. Every person has a right to live and the doctor should respect that. Besides, every doctor I have ever talked to became one because they wanted to save lives.


Click Here
 
I think that Dr. Yee should not perform the surgery on the patient. The patient did not do anything to help his condition. His age makes heightens the risk of complications during surgery. He is in poor health and didn’t change his diet or exercising habits. He should have at least attempted to lessen his risks of heart disease.

Click Here
Click Here
 
I think that it is imperative for a doctor to be able to make the decision whether or not to accept a patient for surgery. She/he has professional training in their field; they most likely know more about the patient's health than the patient does. If the doctor does not feel that they can successfully perform the surgery or cure the patient in as safe a manner as another doctor could, it is in the patient's best interest that they choose another doctor.
I think that Dr. Yee needs to trust himself and his knowledge and experience in medicine. He can also judge the patient on a set of guidelines such as those located in the link below. He should take note of different aspects of the patient's health into consideration before making a final decision.

Guidelines
 
I think Dr. Yee should try to explain to his patient that the risks outweigh the benefits. If he can not convince the patient to reconsider, then I think he should perform the surgery. I don't think it is his choice to decide weather this man gets a second chance at life. However, if Dr. Yee must choose between this man and another, healthier patient for this heart surgery, then he should give the healthier patient the surgery. If this a surgery that can be done on any patient who wants it though, then I think it is the patient's choice. If the patient knows the risks, then it is their call.

Don't treat the old and unhealthy, say doctors
 
I think that Dr. Yee should perform the surgery. IT is a doctors job to help people, and without the surgery, this person could die. What the patient did to prevent his condition is irrevelant to the doctors choice. If every person held their health sacred, then doctors would not be as vital to society as they currently are. As long as the patient pays for the surgery, the doctor should not have the right to deny them, reguardless of condition or situation. It is the patients decision whether or not they want to throw their health away and suffer the consequeces.
 
This is an extremely hard decision to make, but i believe that Dr. Yee should perform the surgery. I believe that the patient has every right to try to live for a long as possible. Sometimes it hard to for people to have the modivation to make a lifestyle change, however that doesnt not mean that he doesnt deserve to try to live longer. The patient knows that he is making a risk by undergoing surgery. I don't think that it is the doctor's decision. He is getting paid to do what the client wants and he should do what i think he is obliged to do.

Click Here
 
The doctor should opperate. I believe if there is a patient in need the doctor should do everything in his power to save the patient regardless of the patients health. Weight, age, and health should not be the reason a patient cant have surgury. If the patient is willing to have the doctor operate the doctor should have to do it.

support
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
I think that doctor yee should make a professional decision regardless of what the patients wants. If there's a likelier chance that the patient is better off with the surgery then if the doctor is conformable doing the surgery then it could be done if it's going to be a success. so overall doctor yee should do what ever he feels more conformable preforming because he has lives on his hands.

Doctors
 
I believe that Dr. Yee should perform the surgery. Even though the patient isn’t in good health, he should be able to make the choice. This surgery will make a difference on how long the patient will live. Dr. Yee shouldn’t be able to make the decision that could shorten the patient’s life. You never know, this dilemma might shock the patient into changing his diet and lifestyle. Even if the surgery doesn’t have a good chance of extending the patient’s life for too long, I think if there’s a chance to help him, then it should be taken. It’s the doctor’s job to care for the patient to the best of his or her abilities. I think that Dr. Yee should give his opinion, but he shouldn’t be able to make the decision about a life-altering surgery for the patient, that’s the patient’s job.


Click Here
 
I think it all depends on the situation. If the odds are that the surgery will not help the patient's longetvity extremely, then I honestly don't believe it's worth it. If the odds are for the patient to live after the surgery, then it should most definitely be performed. In this case, the patient didn't listen to his doctors requests about diet and exercise, therefore some of his bad health is self-inflicted. If he didn't take the responsibility to take care of himself, then maybe he doesn't deserve to be operated on.

CLICK
(well, the link is actually an example of how one can make a decision whether or not to have coronary bypass surgery)
 
In my opinion, Dr. Yee should not continue with the surgery. If the patient doesn’t even attempt to improve his own lifestyle, why should he try for a risky surgery. Surgery for obese people often can result in serious complications. People who are obese and continue with surgery may face postoperative complications, such as heart attack, wound infection, nerve injury, and urinary tract infections. Patients over 100 pounds over the ideal weight were twice as likely to die as a result of complications following noncardiac surgery. Postoperative obese people have five times higher rate of heart attack, four times higher rate of peripheral nerve injury, one-point-seven higher rate of wound infection, and one and one-half times higher rate of urinary tract infection. For these many reasons, I think Dr. Yee should not allow his patient to go through surgery.

Click Here
 
good afternoon!
:)
 
If I was Dr.Yee I would not do the surgery. Even though I would feel bad I would not do due to the patients current conditions. In all respect even if the surgery was to go cleanly the patient would probably not live much longer due to his conditions. Also, in the future the patient would probably not change his habits even tough the doctor would tell him again. Overall, I don't believe it is a wise decision to do the surgery on this patient.
Link
 
I think that Dr. Yee should not do the procedure. I think he should not do the procedure because the patient has a heart condition and he is overweight, which could cause complications during and/or after the procedure. In addition, if the patient dies during and/ or after the procedure, he will feel the guilt of one of his patients dying because of complications. In addition, the patient should not have the surgery because a person with a health condition and a heart problem, so that is another reason why he should not have the surgery. I also think that the doctor also has every right to do the surgery and can do it in any means of his hippocratic oath.

Click Here
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?